Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help, I made my email a worse mess!

Posted by terrapots (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 3, 11 at 0:18

I was trying to get less ads on the email page and made it worse. I saw a suggestion email through firefox would not have those ads. I downloaded it and ended up with Inbox as my default home page and tons of stuff with the email. I don't know if I finished installing as I got to a page that wanted a key code. Also it ran a scan that found umpteen errors and needed a code to clean it up. I exited it but now when I click on IE I get INBOX with all kinds of stuff I don't really need or want. How do I get back to the smaller mess I was living it? Somewhere I took a wrong turn and can't get back. I have yahoo email through sbcglobal. This started out when I wanted to print out a confirmation email and it wouldn't let me do it without me allowing att.net popups and yet I have all those ads on the right side when I open my mail. I hope this makes sense, it's late and I should call it a day, it's a busy day tomorrow. I have Vista and IE 8 I believe.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help, I made my email a worse mess!

Did you install some sort of add-on toolbar? If yes, uninstall it ASAP and let us know what happens.

o

Thanks, I think I'm back to normal. I deleted all new programs installed yesterday, inclulding PC power speed, spyware terminator, web security guard, ecards, smileys, desktop weather, screensaver, email notifier. Went to internet options to restore google search, Inbox came up with IE, gone now but still comes up with firefox which is OK with me now. I need to study more about firefox before I do this again. I'm sure it's a great program as there seems tobe a lot of recommendations for it.

o

Terrapots, FF is great. I held off a long time and it is one of those, "why did I wait so long" things. After you are used to it you might download the add-ons WOT, TACO and No Squint. They are great. I love Taco it picks up on the cookies when you open a web site and you can block them. That is so much fun. LOL

o

Vala, thanks for the encouragement. I have FF as a backup browser and I did download WOT for IE. I had it before my computer had tobe re-done and it gave me those green to red circles behind the hits. Now it just shows up every now and then, red. I have a green circle with a yellow burst on a toolbar at the top but don't know what that means. I has a dropdown that has "settings" but haven't played around with that yet.. Haven't added this add-on to FF as I don't often use it and all my favorites are on IE.

o

Vala,
I find I have to use FF on this sight to be ad free.
IE has all the ads on here and takes longer to open.
I looked up Taco you mentioned and was wondering if I'd be wiser to DL the Beef Taco?
Thanks for mentioning that add-on.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here