SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynnalexandra

Hard Drive problems - Again- Worse - Windows won't start

lynnalexandra
13 years ago

Not sure if I should have continued my former threads. Back in December, I had a hard drive exceeding normal parameters message - thought it was the original hard drive (dell inspiron 530 - windows xp). Dell sent a technician - turns out to have been the second internal drive which I'd put in 1 1/2 years ago.

In the meantime, the tech put in a new 2TB drive I had bought - instead of the failing second hard drive. All booted fine - no more failed hard drive message.

Called Western Digital - they sent a replacement for the 1.5TB second internal drive that was failing. First I put the failing drive back in the computer and transferred the few videos and documents I wanted onto an external hard drive. So far so good. Files were fine. Then I reformatted the second drive to erase contents before sending back to Western Digital.

Then tonight I thought was the simple part. I took the failing second hard drive out. Put in the new replacement 1.5 TB hard drive from WD. Computer wouldn't boot into windows. I did not have the usual F1 option to continue as I did with the failed drive inside. Nor did windows start as it had with the 2TB drive inside.

I got a hard drive fail message (just said hard drive fail - nothing like the prior message about exceeding normal threshold- and only options f2 (set up) or f12 (boot options). First I tried F2 - looked daunting - about setting Bios stuff. I tried again - picked f12 - saw it originally ask for a selection of which order to boot from. I thought it might have been looking to the second internal drive - or external drive - but I think the original hard drive was the first priority (honestly, I did not recognize the names/numbers of the two drives it listed - in spot sata 0 and sata 5 (which i think is the external drive). I picked sata 0. selected save and exit - maybe i also selected save and continue another time. Nothing but a blank screen with a dos prompt (the little blinking underscore line).

I don't know what to do now. I don't know if this replacement hard drive is a failure. I have swapped drives before - and never disturbed the original drive - and don't think I did this time. But I don't get Windows opening up - or even the f1 choice to continue.

I tried shutting down and restarting a couple of times (once with the external drive shut off). no success.

The only thing that occurs to me is to take the new replacement 1.5 TB second drive out - and I'll try that tomorrow. But I don't understand why I couldn't get windows started. I'm worried that something is seriously messed up now.

Thanks.

Lynn.

Comments (8)