Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
still learning windows 7 need some help

Posted by loralee (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 4, 14 at 22:53

I had a new computer built at Xmas with Windows 7 put on it.

I think something in windows 7 is set to put certain looking icons on different files in two of my crafting softwares.

I installed one of my software last night and the normal looking icons that the files should be are a windows looking icon. At l call it a windows looking icon. Not sure what it really is.

Then tonight I installed another crafting software that I know what it is and the same thing happened.
Earlier when I started all the files where just a blank looking piece of paper with the file extension. I know what the extension is so new they were my craft files from Print Master software.

So, I did the normal thing to try to open my file by right clicking and clicking on open with, then found my software that these files belong to and said always open with this software. Well, it also changed them all to this windows looking file.

Here is a picture of what I am looking at.

Is there something I need to select in some tool box someplace to stop this.

I will need help of finding my way around windows 7. Things are located a little different than XP, and having problems locating everything.

Thanks for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: still learning windows 7 need some help

Just a quick question, even if it doesn't help, it might be useful to someone more knowledgeable.

If you right-click either of those files and view its properties, what's the full name of the file? Especially useful could be the three(more or less) letters following the final dot. (The extension)

My reason for asking is that I suspect they're just common archives but I would need the extension to know if they are or not. If they are, you'll find they have an extension such as ".rar" or ".7z" and all you'll need to do is install the appropriate program to open them.

I know nothing about Print Master though, so I'm only guessing.

o

I was so comfy with Xp, and nothing seemed "hidden" as I found when I got into W7. Now, that I am comfy somewhat with 7, things go better, but it was hard for me as well. My zip files also look like yours, as long as they open with 7zip, I don't care what they look like, and what I do miss is the opportunity to put pics on the folder covers, so I know what is inside without opening them. Oh, well, who listens to anyone who does the simple things with puters anymore, they want to please the big guys I guess.
You aren't alone, and rest assured coming here to ask questions is a good thing.

o

The file folders are my number 1 complaint. I can't tell you how much time i have spent looking for certain graphics this week. Like you I went by the 4 ;photos on the front of the file and knew exactly what was in it.

Now with only a tiny piece of a picture showing, and I even have the largest file icon, I can't tell what is in there.

I just learned about hidden last night. When I was working with another software that I had to reinstall.

I hope someone has the answer about these strange looking icons on my Print Master graphics.

o

Chuggerguy,

When I right click I get SIG File (.sig)

I had selected opens with and chose Print Master. Print master is a graphics software. Should I be looking for something other than Print Master to open it?

o

This is an area where I think personal preferences dominate, but ....

I dislike icons, I find the various icon views unhelpful and too hard to differentiate.

Instead, click on the downward pointing triangle that will say "More Options" when you hover over it. My preference is to use "Details" and even "Content" isn't bad, because both TELL YOU the file types. The columns in "Details" can be changed to show whatever file metadata you want to see, and in the order you prefer.

o

Snidely, what am I to hover over? Where is this downward pointing triangle?

o

Is this visible for you, from Windows Explorer or any folder reference from a program?

o

"I had selected opens with and chose Print Master. Print master is a graphics software. Should I be looking for something other than Print Master to open it?"

No, my hunch was incorrect. Print Master should be all you need to use them.

I've never used Print Master so I'm not familiar with how it associates files types or assigns(or doesn't assign) icons. I would have thought the .sig files would either be opened from within Print Master or somehow included in its "clip art library(?)" so they wouldn't really need icons because you wouldn't typically be browsing to that folder to open them.

I'll stop guessing now, apologies for the confusion.

o

Snidely, thanks for your help. Thank you for the nice photo of the view of the little arrow you were speaking of.

Normally, the files have a blue icon with a crown in it signifying it is a Print Master file. This makes it easy for me at a glance.

I am using an older version, one that I had on XP. Perhaps Windows 7 does not have what ever driver it takes for a .sig file.

Guess it is just one more thing I have to learn to get used to.
The icon for the software on my desktop is correct and I do have all my files in the software that I have created and show up when I need them.

I don't understand why there are so many hidden files, or I used have not learned how to find all the file folders.

An example would be trying to locate the fonts file folder to add more of my favorite fonts.
Each time I go to add more fonts I have to do a search for fonts then, that file opens up. It could be I just don't know how to find all these files.

I thought going with Windows 7 would have been easier than learning windows 8, maybe I was wrong.

This post was edited by loralee on Fri, Feb 7, 14 at 12:56

o

The image was from me but I hope it helped.

o

Snidely, My apologies, it did help. There are just so many things to learn here.

I just found the new edit tool, so fixed the above post.

This post was edited by loralee on Fri, Feb 7, 14 at 12:57

o

Girl just hang on, and be persistent, I am no geek for sure, and took me quite some time to become somewhat comfy with 7. but is better than 8 for sure. Take your time, and baby steps, write down when sumpin works, what you did to get there, and have a reference for the next time.
Shaddy

o

Oh yes, persistent will pay off. Its always a new learning curve with a new Windows software.

I think MS does this just to keep our brains working.

o

You should find your fonts by:-
Right click Start
Click Explore (Windows explore maybe on 7?) in the pop up
Look down the left side and click the plus sign or arrow head beside C:
Scroll down and do the same on the Windows folder
Scroll down again and click on the Fonts folder to view the files on the right side.

Actually I just did that with my Windows 8 files and it brings up thumbnails showing the font style, rather neat.

o

Oh my gosh, a whole another option and files in here. Also, all the fonts are in order.

This is one plus for Windows 7. As, I was adding my favorite fonts I noticed that all the fonts were displayed with a sample of what they looked like. So, should I forget the name of one I am looking for I can identify it by a sample

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here