Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Seeing Icons not pictures

Posted by arosegirl (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 11, 13 at 22:51

I have Windows 7 and am using Paint Shop Pro X. I never had a problem until a few weeks ago after I downloaded a trial of Windows 8. I didn't like it so I uninstalled it. Now I no longer see my pictures but an icon of PSP7 or the picture that is on PSPX. I have gone to view to see if "large icon" was checked. Nothing changed there. Can someone please tell me what I can do? Many thanks! Charlene

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Seeing Icons not pictures

Maybe, right click the folder you store your pictures in and choose Properties. Then choose the customize tab. Look around in there and make sure the folder is set for pictures. Then set your thumbnail size to your preferred size with the folder menu setting.

o

I did as you suggested chose properties, customize tab. Pictures was already checked.. I am still getting icons not the actual picture. I am wondering if I did a system restore that would work. I have added some programs and fear I would lose them..What do you think?
Many thanks.

o

Hello arosegirl ,

You can always undo a System Restore point, if it does not fix the problem

"If you tried using System Restore to fix a problem but the problem remained or other problems were introduced, you can undo the restore operation. After you undo System Restore, you can try using a different restore point."

Here is a link that might be useful: How to Undo a System Restore point

o

I don't know if this is what you mean. You said you downloaded some programs. If they were picture related like Irfanview it can override your previous options. Irfanview were red bears or something similar. I opened my photos, went to the top right hand corner and clicked on the down arrow by the picture icon and choose an icon size instead of details. Then I had my pictures back.

o

Emma, the programs I downloaded were not picture related. I have chosen large icons so that is not my problem. At least I don't think so.

I checked into doing a system restore, it said it would not change documents, pictures, etc.

My question is: Could there be something causing the pictures to change to icons and a system restore would correct that issue?

o

I usually get there by control panel / System / Advanced System Settings(left margin) / Performance ... then push the performance button.

o

This was checked on mine also!!! Anything else I can check? Many thanks ya'll!!

o

Just a stab in the dark. Go to 'view'/check 'details'/go back to 'view' and recheck 'large icons'. I have had that help me on several occasions. Not only with pictures, but with other problems that I may encounter.

Jean

o

Think I'd uncheck the thumbnails .. look in CCleaner for the option to clean the Thumbnail cache... then restart the computer.
Then check the box for thumbnails again.

Might want to run system file checker from an elevated command prompt..
SFC /ScanNow
(takes a little while, some say to run it three times in a row even if it finds no errors)

o

Where is CCleaner?

o

You need to download ccleaner from the link below, download latest version look over at the left side of the web page

http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/

Or you can clean the thumbnails from within windows, see link below for that

http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/clear-delete-the-thumbnail-cache-in-windows-7/

o

I found the ccleaner and ran it. No changes.
I am about to use the other link you provided.
Thanks.

o

I checked out the delete the thumbnail cache, Does this delete my pictures? What does it delete? Sorry, I really don't know much about the computer.

o

No it does not delete pictures, It just stores the thumbnail image so windows can load the picture faster, it will just delete those stored images not the actual pictures.

o

Welll, that didn't work either. I will try anything and really appreciate ya'll trying to help.

o

See the links,

http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthread.php?42417-Thumbnail-preview-in-Windows-7-Explorer

http://www.botproductions.com/pspthumb/thumb.html

Joe

o

Yeah and many thanks. I downloaded the bot product and it works. It doesn't open the PSP7 files but I am a happy camper right now!! Thanks again!!

o

Hi

" I never had a problem until a few weeks ago after I downloaded a trial of Windows 8."

When you get time could you go into a little more detail about that? How you installed it and how you uninstalled it.

Joe

This post was edited by zep516 on Fri, Feb 15, 13 at 13:43

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here