Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Videos not working

Posted by jane__ny (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 6, 13 at 22:40

I visit a few news sites such as CNN, Fox, CNBC. Frequently they have a video of the news story or a speaker. Usually a small video, no more than a minute or so.

I am running XP3 with Firefox. I checked IE and the videos work. So I know the problem is FF.

The only change I made is to uninstall Java and disable the Java Deployment Toolkit and the Java Console in FF Add-ons.

I'm not sure what to do to get the videos to work.

Jane

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Videos not working

Those videos are run on flash player, Shockwave..

Check you plugins on Firefox at link provided.

Here is a link that might be useful: plugincheck

o

If your "Shockwave Flash" plugin checks out okay but the videos still won't play you might check your other add-ons.

Are you using the Flashblock add-on?

It's possible for an Adblock Plus filter to cause problems so you could disable it long enough to find out.

A site I sometimes listen to seems to be deliberately trying to not play nicely with Adblock Plus. The videos load and load and load and never play, except maybe for the very first one. To get around it, I have to center-click ABP to disable, click my bookmark to load the site, watch it load and at the instance the player appears center-click ABP to re-enable it. Then it'll play all day with no ads. :)

I once had an Easylist filter clash with TV-Land. I kept getting "non-responsive" script messages. Pretty much locked Firefox up until it was good and ready to let me close the tab. Finally I noticed that it was only like that when I was using Easylist, Fanboy worked fine. I used ABP's "Report an issue on this page..." feature to report that. They fixed it somehow. I tried to figure out specifically which filter was causing it but I couldn't find it.

Sorry, I suppose I'm getting off topic.

o

Thanks, I have Shockwave Flash and Shockwave Director plug in. I have Silverlight, Media Player, Quicktime.

This problem happened just a few days ago. The only change I made was to disable Java Deployment Toolkit and Java Console. I didn't see any reason for them as I uninstalled Java. I haven't touched AdPlus but will try disabling it when I get off.

I'm not certain the problem happened at the same time, but that's the only change I made. I do have IE View, so I can R-click and view the video in IE. Just annoying to have this happen.

Jane

o

Well, if that fails, there's an option in Firefox to reset it to its default state.

Here is a link that might be useful: Reset Firefox

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here