Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lost my SMTP

Posted by Sue-va (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 20, 14 at 22:14

The message could not be sent because the connection to SMTP server mail.ntelos.net timed out. Try again or contact your network administrator.

Tell me. please, how do I get it back? I use Firefox and Thunderbird. W7.

TIA

Sue

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lost my SMTP

I don't have an answer for you Sue but until someone more knowledgeable comes along...

My first reaction is that if Thunderbird hadn't had problems accessing SMTP before now and you haven't changed anything, it's maybe just a temporary problem on the mail server. If so, nothing you can do except wait and try later.

I don't really know, just trying to think what I would do.

Two questions (prompted by a couple things I read while searching):

(1) Do you happen to know whether or not Thunderbird just updated?
(2) Are you running a firewall? (Zone Alarm or other)

o

If a restart of the computer didn't get the connection back, go to your ISP's homepage and find the contact or technical support number.

If the outgoing mail server is down, we would not be able to help.

I was not able to ping mail.ntelos.net when I tried, but some providers don't allow ping as a method of checking the server for connectivity. This error does not seem to be related to Thunderbird, unless you changed some settings before the error started.

o

If the above options have produced nothing...go into Computer Panel click on Network and Sharing Center...and at the bottom of that page...click on either Connect to Network or Troubleshoot Problems. One or both of those options should either help you reconnect...or point you in the right direction.

As an aside...my ISP does this every once in a while when they apply for a new IP # and the easiest way to re-establish my connection is to unplug my computer from its electrical source...wait a minute of so and reconnect. When I boot up...the connection is repaired/re-established.

Anne

o

Surprise! It is working now. LUMOS was doing some updating.

Thanks for the helps; never know when they might be needed.

Sue

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here