Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Email Program With Notifier?

Posted by rosethyme (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 19, 12 at 21:55

Does anyone know of a good, safe email program that has an email notifier? One that appears on the desk top to show incoming email? I just read that Incredimail isn't good to use and would like to replace it.

TIA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Email Program With Notifier?

My Hotmail 'used to' notify me of new emails, but it doesn't anymore, however Windows Live Messenger got deleted off my computer a while back when I had the Operating System reloaded. I liked it when I had it.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Hotmail New email alerts

o
RE: Oooops....Email Program With Notifier?

Well please excuse my last post. I didn't totally check out the link I posted and it seems Windows Live Messenger no longer notifies of new Hotmails...sigh.

I just added the Webmail Notifier from Mozilla (at link below) and see that it doesn't work for me either.

I hope someone can help you (us).

Hmmm...maybe I need to check for updates? I'll be back if I find I can get it working.

Here is a link that might be useful: WebMail Notifier (for Gmail,Hotmail,Yahoo,AOL ...)

o

Thanks, Chemocurl...please let me know what you find out.

o

Well I got it to work. There is a small letter box in the search toolbar and it is gray if there is no new mail. When you get new mail it turns yellow and shows whatever number of new emails there are. There is also a brief pop-up at the bottom that makes a small sound (beep) when the mail comes in.

Once the add-on is downloaded you have to go to
tools
add-ons
Webmail notifier
options

Use the dropdown box to choose what email you are using...like Hotmail
and then below that fill in your hotmail email addy next to "user name' and fill in your Hotmail password and ADD. There are some other settings you might want to play with too, once you get it up and running. I don't really understand them and what they do, or don't do.

o

I know there was a firefox addon you could get that alerted you of new gmail. I am so used to my android phone and tablets they all alert me to both hotmail and gmail.

o
RE.. : Email Program With Notifier?

Go to google and do a search for email notifier you will find several free ones, gmail does have one available.

o

For a long time I have used the 'PopMan' program for an email notifier & previewer with my Hotmail & other email accounts too.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.ch-software.de/popman/

o

For those who use the Opera browser, the built-in mail client/rss reader has a notifier as well (on by default but can be switched off).

o

I use Thunderbird email. It has a "pop" sound and a "letter" icon on the quick launch bar when there is new mail. There may be other alert choices; I haven't bothered to check.

Also use Yahoo, no alerts that I know of.

Sue

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here