Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lost Windows Media Center

Posted by john4291 (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 22, 12 at 21:44

Compaq Presareo Win 7 SP 1 purchased with WIN 7 INSTALLED. I had Windows Media Center
but now I can't find it. I did some cleaning up of things I didn't use and must have deleted it by
mistake. I have sought a download site from Microsoft and others but have been unable to find one.
I do not have an installation disk but do have some disks that I made at the suggestion of the mfg.
Is there a way to download the program or reinstall it from the disks that I made. I also have a
FACTORY_IMAGE (D) drive but I do not know how to use these to reinstall the program. Can anyone
tell me how I can do it? TIA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lost Windows Media Center

I found this in another forum. It may help you:

1. Open Control Panel/Programs and Features.
2. Click "Turn Windows features on or off" in the left pane.
3. Expand "Media Features", uncheck "Windows Media Player". Click "Yes" to continue, and click OK to quit. Then Restart.

Note: If you turn off WMP, Windows Media Center will be turned off either. You may need to re-configure settings for Windows Media Center after re-enabling it.

4. Open "Turn Windows features on or off" again. Turn on the features "Windows Media Player" and "Windows Media Center". Restart.
5. Launch Windows Media Player, initialize the program.

o

Thank you Bob. Your post did the trick. When I found the info
for windows media player and windows media center they were both checked. I took a chance and unchecked them. Then restarted my computer. After making the changes it restarted and then I went back as you suggested and checked them to enable and restarted (not sure it was needed). When I checked the programs lo and behold there was Windows Media center and the player. I put shortcuts on the DT and will be careful what I do after this. Thanks again, John W.

o

I'm glad it helped John.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here