SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
copanolady

In Trouble (again) Registry?

copanolady
13 years ago

Hello y'all~

I'm in trouble again ~ I've had problems logging on for over a month now and am at my wit's end. If I dare to turn off, even 'sleep' or 'hibernate' it's HE77 to get back on again ~ I go thru everything - Bios; alt/control/delete; escape; f3, f9, f10, f2, etc.; Enter; even (on occasion) taking the battery out and putting it back & ocassionally by some magic combination of above, it starts up and for the most part works perfectly.

I have a HP Pavilion dv9820us Notebook PC

Windows Vista Premium Home Edition (version 6)

Internet Explorer(8)& FireFox(3.6.13)

Also, ocassionally I get this message:

Registry Mechanic is missing core application files:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Registry Mechanic\Data\map.dat

C:\Program Files (x86)\Registry Mechanic\Data\values.dat

C:\Program Files (x86)\Registry Mechanic\Data\keys.dat

Please re-install

Can anyone help???

~ I'm just about ready to throw this thing into the fireplace (after smashing it with a hammer)!

I would REALLY would appreciate it -

P.S. the computer is only about 1 1/2 yrs old. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Thank you! (I'm calm again)

SARose

Comments (49)

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    13 years ago

oh man you have a registry cleaner on there, have you used Registry Mechanic? if so that may well be what caused the problems, registry cleaners cause so many problems I always advise to keep far away from them.

• copanolady
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh NO Raven~ don't leave me hanging out there! Yes, I used Registry Mechanic, I'm bad, but what do I do now????

• Related Discussions

Trouble rears it's ugly head again in my garden!!

Q

Comments (2)
    Seems like you did not harden them off enough.. You need to keep a fan on the seedlings indoors so they are used to the wind and growing conditions.. The plants are so used to being pampered the rain just flattened them.. They should recover.. Maybe stake them and protect them from heavy rain.. But remember don't baby them, they will be weak and lose the fight with nature, let them get beat up but not that bad.. Joe
    ...See More

Pushing A__'s troubles under the rug... Again. Advice?

Q

Comments (8)
    We had something similar come up w SD(11) a few weeks ago in school....a little girl was being mean to her, pulled her by the arm and yanked her jacket off the wall and spit on it.....We made the decision to notify the school (SD didnt tell a teacher) and the little girl said it was "an accident" so the school gave her a warning...SD knew it wasnt an accident, and I beieve her...I realized that I couldnt change the little girl, and talking to her parents prob wouldnt do any good (i firmly believe kids act out what they learn at home etc..) The school, I didnt feel was very effective in my opion with the matter, so I and DH decided that even though all of those things were out of our hands there was one thing that was in our hands and that was to teach SD how to react to such a situation when it presents itself, we talked with her about why children sometimes act inapropriatley, how to handle the situation, and also worked with her on some self defense things (when the girl grabbed her she was terrified, and froze up) I could tell immediately that SD felt more confidant after our talk and lesson on bullies...the girl has left SD alone now that SD has shown that she will stand up for herself and not allow this girl to call her names or physically bully her any longer...
    ...See More

Are we having a bit of trouble here AGAIN....

Q

Comments (8)
    Me too. It's really REALLY frustrating. I guess it's "support" like this that makes this a free site 'cause you sure couldn't treat a paying customer this way.
    ...See More

Having trouble with Houzz again

Q

Comments (6)
    Yep, I can't access page 2 of the posts (I haven't had trouble before). I contacted Houzz and they sent me their generic post. THEY DON'T CARE! Here is a copy of the email. Hi there, Thank you for that information! We recommend using Google Chrome, as it seems to work best with our site. Also, let's try the following troubleshooting tips: 1. Ensure that you have the latest operating system for your device/computer 2. Ensure that you have the latest version of the browser you are using 3. Clear your browser history and cache/cookies 4. Restart your computer Let us know if this helps after you have logged back into your Houzz account! Best, The Houzz Team Houzz | The New Way to Design Your Home My reply: If you don't want to help, just say so. 1. I do use google chrome. 2. Yes, everything auto updates. 3. I'm not stupid. 4.You can't seem to program the site to work. You fix one thing and it messes everything else up. 5. The search function that used to work great on Garden Web, now just returns nonsense that is in no way connected to the term searched.
    ...See More
  • zep516
    13 years ago

Restart the computer keep hitting the F8 key, wait for the black screen with white letters to appear. At the top of the list you will see Repair My Computer use the arrow keys to select or hi-lite it and hit enter on the keyboard. Windows will repair or attempt to fix any missing files and more.

Like raven said don't use a registry cleaner.

• copanolady
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Zep ~ Can it really be that easy? The F8 key on this computer is the brightness key(?)
    Do I use fn key too? I've never seen "Repair My Computer" before but I will try it when I'm ready to get offline tonight ~ if I try now I may never get back on and I'm out of patience. You can bet I'll never touch another registry cleaner again.

• zep516
    13 years ago

Just the F8 key. Restart it. keep hitting the F8 key. You will see on the list Repair Your Computer hi lite it and hit enter. I have a Vista computer next to me and mine comes up already hilighted, yours will probably to. Just hit enter on the keyboard. Hopefully that fixes any issues, there's never a guarantee but this is the most logical thing to try first.

• zep516
    13 years ago

Registry Mechanic is missing core application files:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Registry Mechanic\Data\map.dat
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Registry Mechanic\Data\values.dat
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Registry Mechanic\Data\keys.dat
    Please re-install

That just looks like a problem with the program Registry Mechanic. It says Registry Mechanic is missing files not windows. You still as raven said never should use a registry cleaner. Might want to uninstall it, that may not be easy as it's missing files. We can get to that later with the help of everyone here.

• copanolady
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Would Revo Uninstaller Pro help? I read about it here and downloaded the onetime 'free' trial but would have to pay $39.95 now to use it again which I don't want to do unless it would work for sure. When I tried to use it before, it wouldn't complete the uninstall and instead would say the above as you stated..."Registry Mechanic is missing.....,etc.", them..."Please re-install" That's the delemma ~ it won't uninstall without the missing (3) files but when you click O.K., the box just disappears.
    Zep, you said "We can ge to that later with the help of everyone here" but it looks like it just you and me.

• owbist
    13 years ago

Why can't you go into Add/Remove programs and remove both the registry cleaner and your pro version of Revo? Then go here and ignore the 'download' button on the left but scroll down and download the free version.

Afterwards you could run something like the free Ccleaner to remove all the odd bits but do not adjust the settings for this program. Simply run it at the default settings

• genes
    13 years ago

There should be a lesson in this..lol...I would suggest that you ask people on here about any new cleaning program you wish to try ...not understanding what they can do to your computer can put you into a deep world of hurt very quickly

• DA_Mccoy
    13 years ago

I agree with you Gene. Not focusing on SAR as what is done is done, and it wasn't done on purpose.

Members without a wide scope of computer experience, in this case the registry, have to not believe everything they read in ads, hear from others, or be adventuresome. They have to investigate and research.

It is unfortunate that the forum has seen this concern here before, and we now see it again. And, we will see it in the future. We all must remember the vast percentage of system glitches are user created as most often an event does not happen without a reason. That's why I and others recommend making notes of system actions taken, software changes, and settings and configuration changes.

Revo is the best shot at getting rid of the corrupt Registry Mechanic.

Owbist's reference to CCleaner I assume is to use its registry tool for a final sweeping. I agree with him in matters like this even though almost every other situation I recommend avoiding registry cleaners.

If the CC registry tool is used, first read the Help as to how to restore removed items. Second, when selecting items to be removed be certain of what they are, no guessing allowed. Finally, accept the offer of backup so items removed can be restored if required.

DA

• copanolady
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Gosh ~ Have I not been chastened enough already? I come here for help from experts ~ yes, most problems (I guess) are self inflicted by us amateurs but having confessed to doing something stupid, help is needed ~ not rebuke.

I will never, ever touch anything that says "Registry" again. Forgive me and help!

• zep516
    13 years ago

Did you do the repair like I said from the windows advanced options menu. Repair Your Computer ? Please do it if you have not.

Then let me know how the computer is on reboot and exactly what errors if any.

• copanolady
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes Zep, I tried last night ~ it didn't work for me ~ tried over and over and finally gave up. When I did get back on & left to go to bed, I put it on 'hibernate' which sometimes works but not always. This morning it worked which is how I'm here now. Thanks Zep

I think (later) I'll try Owbist's suggestion to uninstall both and reload Revo to see if I can get it to run (without paying $40)

Owbist ~ what does Ccleaner do that Revo Pro doesn't?

• mike_kaiser_gw
    13 years ago

SARose,

Is Registry Mechanic still installed on your machine? Or did you uninstall it and some lingering bits are cause the error?

If the latter, I'd edit the registry and delete all references Registry Mechanic in the hives HKLM and HKCU.

• zep516
    13 years ago

it didn't work for me

What do you mean? What errors are seen?

I would not use any more tools on this machine just yet including revo or cCleaner.

I put it on 'hibernate'

Do not use these modes or sleep mode for now, they may be part of the issue. When you done with the computer shut it down instead.

• zep516
    13 years ago

I don't suggest sending the user into the registry and deleting anything. At most if needed we can delete the folders from the program files folder for now.

• DA_Mccoy
    13 years ago

SAR,

Your frustration perhaps tainted your view of my post. The second sentence disclaimed, "Not focusing on SAR as what is done is done, and it wasn't done on purpose." You did not do anything "stupid" and forgiveness here as always is never required.

Members who post information here are not only trying to resolve current concerns, but educate all who read the thread. For the years I have had the pleasure of participating here at the forum, knowledgeable members have continually advised other members to in general avoid delving in the registry. Yet at times they still do, albeit innocently and/or well-intentioned.

As for any potential good that can happen while in the registry it is far outweighed by the potential bad, and I am here raising my hand as once being a culprit in doing so resulting with disaster. I learned my lesson quickly, and avoid the registry unless access is mandatory.

The concept of user system affliction has always been a reoccurring reminder here at the forum. Not on an independent thread of its own, but voiced on a thread where the concept is valid.

REVO is a deep uninstaller which initiates with the application's uninstaller followed up by REVO's scan for leftover entries.

CCleaner, when used in default settings, is normally safe to remove all the flotsam in your system. There are several other tools available in CC including the registry tool. If you do decide to use it please use as offered above.

DA

• copanolady
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Zep: What I mean when I say it didn't work is, F8 key had no effect whatsoever & would just go to black screen with blinking curser in upper left corner.
    Mike: Registry Mechanic will not delete. Period. And yes, there are bits & pieces that will not budge as mentioned in my initial post which indicates there are (3) core application files missing so it won't delete and the only option on that box is "OK" & if you say OK the box just goes away. I admit I don't know what HKLM or HKCU is - I presume 'hives' is archives but how do you get there?

DA: Thank you

• zep516
    13 years ago

I admit I don't know what HKLM or HKCU

That's why I don't want you in the registry. It can be quite daunting area. Mike is right that's where the issue is. That's where most windows issues are.

Lets delete the registry Mechanic FOLDER from the program files folder C:\Program Files (x86)

Here's how:

Double click the computer in the start menu, in xp it was called My Computer. When it opens double click Local Disk Look for this folder Program Files (x86) Double click it. When it opens. Inside it look for the Registry Mechanic folder. Right click on it and choose delete. Let me know if you can delete it. If not you may need to boot to safe mode and do it.

• copanolady
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Zep: I followed your instructions and it appeared to delete. Anything else before I log off to see if it worked?

• zep516
    13 years ago

Lets look at a hijackthis log. Easy just follow the instrutions below: This does not fix anything just gives all of us a better idea of the computer.

Click Here to download HJTInstall.exe
    Save HJTInstall.exe to your desktop.
    Doubleclick on the HJTInstall.exe icon on your desktop. Right click the Hijackthis Icon and Run as Adminstrator if you use Vista or Windows 7
    By default it will install to C:\Program Files\Trend Click on Install.
    It will create a HijackThis icon on the desktop.
    Once installed, it will launch Hijackthis.
    Click on the Do a system scan and save a logfile button. It will scan and the log should open in notepad.
    Click on "Edit > Select All" then click on "Edit > Copy" and Paste the entire contents of the log into your next post.
    DO NOT use the AnalyzeThis button, its findings are dangerous if misinterpreted.
    DO NOT have Hijackthis fix anything yet. Most of what HJT lists will be harmless or even required by your Operating System.

• copanolady
    Original Author
    13 years ago

When I try to open HJTInstall - it won't open. Instead I get the message:

"The URI you submitted has disallowed characters"

• zep516
    13 years ago

Ok remove it please. Just navigate to programs and features. Look for hijackthis and uninstall it. Delete the Icon from the desktop if still there.

Then reinstall hijackthis from filehippo. Install latest version you will see that way over to the right on the filehippo page at top. Try that.

Here is filehippo link.

Here is a link that might be useful: download_hijackthis/

• copanolady
    Original Author
    13 years ago

O.K. ~ Now what? (lots of options on page)

• zep516
    13 years ago

On that page way over to the right side at top where you see,

{{gwi:1456400}}

Just click on the blue letters to start the download. Let it download. When it finishes, double click the set up file and it will install. Once installed that's when you right click the hijackthis icon and run as adminstrator and do a system scan and safe a log file. Post that log.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    13 years ago

Listen everyone instead of using revo if we get to that point lets try app remover which is being used on the forums now, that may be a better way to go to remove those bits and pieces. Zep I am leaving it to you since you have a handle on it.
    I agree lets not mess with the registry at this point for sure since we do not know what has happened thus far.
    free AppRemover utility
    If app remover does not do the job then we can move on to the free version of revo.
    SAR there is a free version of revo the one you got was the trial version so you probably want to at some point in time later get rid of that one and if you still want it make sure you use the link to the totally free version.

I do have one thought however, some registry cleaners do have the option to save prior to change and have an option to go back to the saved registry. Would of course need to know exactly what was run when etc and if that was an option.

Good luck!

• bbbluz ~ DonnaB
    13 years ago

Hi SARose,

Zep (my boyfriend) stepped away from his desk for a moment and asked me to point out that if you continue to have problems with the download, that once you click on the blue letters you may have to patiently await a binary box to pop up that looks like the box below:

When the binary box finally pops up, just click on the Save File button to install HJT.

He'll be back in a moment to further assist you. I'll be here also if he doesn't get back in time to help guide you.

Donna :)

• copanolady
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hey Donna ~ You've got a good guy there ~ patient & very nice ~ lucky girl (I didn't do so well in that department either) I'm pretty sure you all want to watch the Super Bowl - right? Not here~used to live in Big 'D', seemed exciting then, not so much now....but the Spurs, well that's another story (LOL).

Donna, tell Zep I've downloaded HiJackThis and actually got to the page he was talking about that said "Fix My Computer" I clicked on StartUp problems and am about 85% back to normal. I couldn't run as administrator because I couldn't find the password so a third alternative after administrator & guest was my name. I ran that and it re-started ~ the only difference was a long pause after the F1 thru F10 or whatever just sat there. I hit Escape and it OPENED normally!!!! I'm really happy about that! I know it's not 100% but my gosh, compared to the way it was, it's wonderful.

Now Raven suggested a Free App Remover with link - y'all think I should try that too or leave well enough alone or would HJThis clean more Registry junk that might still be clinging on? Or again, should I just leave well enough alone?
    You all are great, thanks, thanks, thanks~~~~~did I say thanks?

• bbbluz ~ DonnaB
    13 years ago

Hi SARose,

Sorry for the delay. Yes! He is a great guy and I did get lucky! hehe.

Please do not install any more programs. Zep wants you to post a HiJackThis log so he can see if all the entries for Registry Mechanic has been removed.

Right click on the HiJackThis icon that should be found on your desktop and choose Run as Administrator. Then click on where it says Do a system scan and save a log. (if you do not see that option, click on the button at the bottom of the HJT dialogue box that says Main Menu and you will then be on the Main page and have that choice.)

Allow HJT to scan your computer. When it is finished, notepad will pop open and the log will be there. Just copy the log and paste it into your next post so Zep can look at it.

He'll be back shortly to finish up with you.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    13 years ago

SAR I posted that link for later after you get this problem resolved so that you can then remove that registry cleaner but definitely wait till zep tells you that is ok to do.

• copanolady
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Raven ~ I always appreciate your input :)

Donna ~ I can't Run as Administrator - I can't locate the password. I also don't know how to copy the log - the only clue they give is to Analyze This and send to knowledgeable people which sends me their HJThis page (& forums, I guess)
    Thank you Lord I have a jacuzzi which I'm going to right now - be back in about an hour, refreshed with a glass of wine and a couple of sweet kitties on my ottoman. Life is good ~ will be even better if I can get my computer back to normal (had a little more trouble starting up again)
    Eish! (S.African for damn)

SAR

• bbbluz ~ DonnaB
    13 years ago

SARose,

Zep has left the building to go watch the Super Bowl. Raven and I will be here so don't worry. You're in good hands!

As for right clicking the HJT icon that is on your desktop and choosing Run as Administrator you shouldn't need to enter a password! Go ahead and double left click the icon, though if you have your UAC (User Account Control) turned on you will have to click Allow this program to run (or something to that effect).

Did it install completely after you downloaded the setup file to your desktop? The icon for HJT will have a little man in red holding a magnifying glass up to his face once the program has completely installed.

Let me know.

@Raven,

Check your messages @ LNDZDWN :)

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    13 years ago

Donna okey dokey!

• copanolady
    Original Author
    13 years ago

O.K. ~ Yes, y'all, it downloaded completely (little man in red coat with giant magnifier) and now it goes to the right page with (6) choices, one of which is to Scan and save Log. I can do that, so far so good but how do I copy to send to you? It seems to go to THEIR page and wants me to ask THEIR experts (instead of mine - I trust y'all)

• copanolady
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Donna/Raven ~ I forgot to mention that I've seen the following message a couple of times ~ sorry (eish again)

Error icon (yellow triangle w/!)

For some reason you system denied write access to the Hosts file. If any hijacked domains are in this file, HT may NOT be able to fix this.

If that happens, you need to edit the file yourself. To do this click Start, Run & type:

Notepad C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts

& press Enter. Find the line(s) HT reports & delete them. Save the file as �hosts.� (with quotes) & reboot.

For Vista: simply, exit HT, right click on the HT icon, choose �Run as Administrator�

OK (in box)

• zep516
    13 years ago

Hi SAR,

Not sure what that issue is with hijackthis I have seen it before on Vista. Lets not worry about it so much. It was just a double check. I think we can skip it and be ok for now. Let us know how the computer is running.

• zep516
    13 years ago

I never could get Hijackthis to work on my Windows 7 home Premium machine either. I gave up on it. It's possible 2.02 version may run on yours. The only version that runs on mine is a very old version 1.9.

If you want you can try the old version from the link below.

That link below is a binary file meaning it will open on this web page. All you do is click save file when the window opens. Save it to the desktop, go to the desktop and double click it to install it. Once it's installed and the Icon is there, that's when you right click it and select Run as administrator. If you still have the other version remove it so there is no confusion.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hijackthis 2.02

• copanolady
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Zep ~ I spent the whole day yesterday trying different things - before I try this I wanted to tell you (y'all)? that once or twice this message appeared:

"Problem caused by an Internet Explorer Add-on
    Kiwee Toolbar, an IE add-on made by AG Interactive, Inc. has caused your browser to stop working.
    1.Disable the AG Search Hook Class add-on. This will not repair the add-on but it will allow IE to work properly again."

I googled Kiwee and it's EVIL! I tried last night to find it on my computer and uninstall it but was too tired to do so. I finaly gave up. I wonder if this is what's causing me all the problems?

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    13 years ago

it says it is an IE toolbar add on so you need to go to the IE add ons and disable it there.

Internet Explorer add-ons

directions from kiwee:
    Kiwee.com wrote:

1. close your Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox sessions and your messenger applications; hit CTRL+SHIFT+ESC to open Task Manager, highlight the kwtbaim.exe process and click "end process". Then close the task manager.
    2. check your Control Panel for any Kiwee entries and delete all the ones you find
    3. go to C:\Program Files and delete the AGI folder
    4. go to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\agi (it may be located under C:\Users\(your PC name)and make sure that no folders exist for Kiwee; if one does, delete it. If you don't see an entry for Application Data, you will need to do the following go to Tools -> Folder Options-> View tab and make sure that the first 7 options under Files and Folders are checked. Then go to the Hidden Files and Folders menu and make sure that the radio button for "Show Hidden Files and Folders" is clicked and that the Hide extensions for known file types and Hide protected operating system files (Recommended) are not checked.

Once you follow these steps, you should be able to see all Application Folders.

5. go to C:\Documents and Settings\(USERNAME)\Application Data\AGI (it may be located under C:\Users\(your PC name) and make sure that no folder exists for Kiwee; if one does, delete it.

For Windows Vista and Windows 7 you need to make sure you're logged in as Admin and click continue when the system asks for permissions to proceed. Only as Admin you have rights to access and modify files and folders on drive C.
    This will remove Kiwee toolbar completely from your computer. The toolbar we provide is both spyware and malware free and there is no virus associated with it, so it's perfectly safe to use on a computer that meets the minimal system requirements. We hope you'll join us again in the future.

• DA_Mccoy
    13 years ago

AGI appears to be the key for locating, identifying, and removing Kiwee. So make note of anytme you see AGI, and where it is located on your system.

DA

• mike_kaiser_gw
    13 years ago

I googled Kiwee and it's EVIL! I tried last night to find it on my computer and uninstall it but was too tired to do so. I finaly gave up. I wonder if this is what's causing me all the problems?

Beyond not uninstalling with ease, I don't see what "evil" about it. Frankly, it sounds stupid. Why a adult needs "glitter text" is just beyond me.

• copanolady
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Gosh Durn Mike ~ Don't be so rude & judgemental! I didn't get "glitter text" intentionally. I like blogs, StumbleUpon, FaceBook, lots of things that could have attached it, not to mention lots of email from friends who may have accidently sent or forwarded an emocion or something. As far as calling it EVIL, that was meant as a joke~ you do have a sense of humor don't you Mike? I have a feeling a lot of things are "just beyond me."

For those of you who have and are helping me, thanks. I'm not totally free (of this EVIL Kiwee I didn't download) but I'm not working on it for awhile. Also, I thought about trying to uninstall or delete everything AGI until I saw that would include Webshots which I love.

• zep516
    13 years ago

Unbeknownst to its users, Webshots employed its Webshots Desktop Application (a free program that users can download from their site to manage their online pictures) to install the Kiwee Toolbar as part of a software update for this program.

So that's how Kiwee got installed, a software update for webshots.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Webshots

• copanolady
    Original Author
    13 years ago

That certainly explains it Zep! I've always had Webshots for screensvers ~ gorgeous pics. I don't even know if it is or was the (EVIL) Kiwee that messed me up but it probably doesn't help the situation. Regardless, I'll keep Webshots; I'm even a paying member for Pro shots. As for anyone who thinks it's easy to uninstall ~ it's hidden and not that easy to find on various places on your computer.

Anyway, you and Donna & Raven have been just wonderful and I do so appreciate it. Thank you and God Bless.........

• mike_kaiser_gw
    13 years ago

Unbeknownst to its users, Webshots employed its Webshots Desktop Application (a free program that users can download from their site to manage their online pictures) to install the Kiwee Toolbar as part of a software update for this program.

Other than the Wikipedia article (whose references don't appear to have anything to do with the surreptitious installation of Kiwee) and complaints in support forums about problems getting it off a computer, I don't see anything about it being forced on users. Was it one of the many tools bars included with software that installed by default but unchecking a box provided an opt-out? I just don't know. Although several of the search hits I saw included the word "unbeknownst" which leaves me wondering if they were written by the same person or several people parroting the others.

In any case, it seems more a case of poorly written code and even poorer judgment on the part of American Greetings than malware. American Greetings does offer instructions on how to remove Kiwee although it sounds like you need to install the latest, greatest version first. I'm not sure I'd be jumping at at offer.

Gosh Durn Mike ~ Don't be so rude & judgemental! I didn't get "glitter text" intentionally.

Do you have any idea of the number of computers I've looked at with upwards of a half dozen different tools bars installed? Every user claimed they never installed them. Yes they did, when the went click, click, click without bothering to read what was on the screen.

Now maybe I got up on my soapbox a little too soon and American Greetings did install poorly written software on their customers' computers without their customers knowledge or consent. If that is the case, I would be writing a nice letter to Mr. Weiss letting him know why he won't be getting any more of my money. Even if it meant giving up a really pretty screen saver.

• azinoh
    13 years ago

"Yes they did, when the went click, click, click without bothering to read what was on the screen. "

Amen, Mike! Keep spreading the word.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    13 years ago

That is often the method of getting them but there are many unscrupulous ones that come with out any prompt by the user so a blanket blame is not really something that is always applicable.
    This is one reason I quite often post the link to the hall of shame so everyone can access it and find out if something is going to try to add extras during install. It is much better to teach and provide info for learning.

"Installers Hall of Shame"

using a site like ninite to get downloads also helps because they make sure you only get what you want not any extras.

Here is a link that might be useful: ninite

• mike_kaiser_gw
    13 years ago

Interestingly, Webshots isn't on the list. The unfortunate reality is that the list is populated by the biggest names in software so the problem isn't going away any time soon. It's simply a matter of money, these software companies are getting paid to distribute the tool bars, etc. All the more reason you need to pay attention before clicking.

• DA_Mccoy
    13 years ago

As I have repeated so many times and will continue to voice, the Internet operates under a veil of anonymity. Under that veil is included a dark side divided into categories, malicious, fraudulent, and commercial. In other words people do things for financial gain or to be just plain mean.

Nothing is certain and nothing is automatically true. If you click on something on a website, install something on your system, or open an unsolicited e-mail and haven't researched the focus item the blame is shifted from the bad guys to the user. Users have an obligation to protect themselves.

DA

Sponsored
BME Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Source for High-End Custom Decks & Outdoor Structure