Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
laptop keyboard won't work

Posted by bunny_lover (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 13, 07 at 20:23

my laptop keyboard stopped working. i am using the onscreen keyboard and im driving myself insane. help

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: laptop keyboard won't work

look in device manager for errors
look in Event logs for errors

did you spill something on it ?

what make laptop. .. assume xp ? some laptops have key combo when you press you switch to a real keyboard,, some work instantly with a usb keyboard. Try one.

o

no spills, acer aspire 3000, windows xp

o

Try pressing at the same time
Fn + F11
thats sort of the num lock sequence that changes the keyboards middle group of keys to a keypad,, does numbers rather than letters ... maybe you've done that by accident ?

o
RE: laptop keyboard won't work, 2

We think it is a battery problem. My DH took the battery out and all is fine! Thanks for your help!

o

I have a dell inspiron 2650 that on ocassion wants to balk on me. Disconnecting wall plug and THEN removing battery for about one second has remedied a lot of problems. Grady

o

I have an ACER Aspire 3050 laptop and had the same problem with the touch pad and keyboard.
I know this may seem simplified...but before you run through all the issues/processes offered to help your keyboard/mouse react again, try charging the battery for a night or two.
The laptop did not work at full function right away (after the first night of charging) but did show some signs of improvement, like some aspects of the keyboard reacting.
I had not used my laptop in a while due to a programming issue. By the time I had it fixed, the battery went dead. If the keyboard works without the battery in, after you finish working on the laptop, try keeping the laptop powered on with the battery in it when you are away or asleep.
This will very likely charge the battery again and restore function to your keyboard.
I am using the laptop keyboard to write this with what I originally thought was a corrupt battery, now functioning just fine.
Remember, I noticed the night before that some keystrokes were showing, where there was no reaction before. The battery took more than one night to be up at full power...but it is fine now.
I saved myself more than $40.00 by not purchasing a replacement. Hope this helps. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here