Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
freecorder

Posted by abreeze (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 7, 11 at 19:56

Has anyone used freecorder? I've done a lot of Googling and am thinking of installing it. I downloaded to a flash drive and scanned it with Avira and Mbam - showed nothing suspicious. What has been your experience if you have used it? Thanks.

abreeze

Follow-Up Postings:

o
input device for recording in Audacity

My purpose in considering this software is to see if it will enable me to use Audacity in Vista. I have Realtek onboard audio and have been unable to use Audacity. Audacity worked beautifully in XP...

o
RE: freecorder

Can you run Audacity in Vista using compatability mode?

Pooh Bear

o

some of the user replies on this review site are a bit worrisome especially the one that says it is connected to spyware and also installs some other search engine that is hard to get rid of. I would research it well and read a lot of actual user reviews.Saw some reviewers saying that it also hijacked the home page to their homepage.
Review: Freecorder

Know that it will install it's own toolbar, I am not a big fan of things that install toolbars.
I personally have never used it or heard of it but doing your homework would be my suggestion.

also noted this
Regarding freecorder, download.com notes that :

Note: This download includes adware that may record your surfing habits, deliver advertisements, collect private information, or modify your system settings. Please pay close attention to the end user license agreement and installation options. For more information on adware and spyware, please visit our Spyware Center.

and this
Here's the privacy policy from Freecorder's site:

"Freecorder may display advertisements for other products or services. In addition, some limited usage data about filenames saved is collected and stored in a central server anonymously. Agreeing to the terms of the license indicates your acceptance of these operations.

I would definitely run their EULA through eulalyzer by javacool maker of spywareblaster
EULAlyzer

seems like it may have changed hands recently and changed and now is not as highly recommended due to some of the above mentioned practices.

I use gizmo's site when looking for apps that I know are safe you might check there for what you want.
Gizmos Freeware
Best Free Streaming Media Recorder

I also feel compelled to say that most media whether audio, music, video is copyrighted...

o

Pooh Bear, I just tried using compatibility mode but still get the error message that no input device is found...

Raven, the toolbar is one of the reasons I posted here. I've been researching freecorder for hours and was concerned about the user reviews. However, I didn't find the depth of info you have shared. Thank you! :) I'm not going to install it.

o

Audacity works with Vista, but there are a few things that you need to check. Here's the check list:

Good luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: Audacity & Vista.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here