Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Should I delete a quarantined virus?

Posted by bob_b (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 25, 08 at 19:35

I have Trend Micro. Today, while browsing the net, a flag from TN popped up saying " Virus Alert", a virus had just been detected and quarantined.

Since I was not on a file of consequence to me but instead a web page when this happened, can I simply hit the delete button on Trend Micro's quarantine page and get rid of the virus? Trends instructions were not very comprehensible.

RB

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Should I delete a quarantined virus?

Why would you want to keep it??

delete it

o

When one empties their virus vault, how is it physically deleted from the computer as it is not ejected to the garbage bin.

o

Delete cuts off the first letter or two of the file name then the file system can't find it.

o

What gets deleted is the link pointing towards the file, so if you would compare a file to a book page, deleting the file does not tear the page out of the book, but rather deletes the pages index from the table of contents, represented by the file system here.

o

It sounds like I should not delete it since it will still be in my computer with no more record of its presence. When in quarantine, if I understand correctly, it is also still in the computer but locked up.

This problem came up once before, and I deleted the virus. So I guess it is still lurking in my computer, and I no longer have any track on it. Fortunately, no ill at least that I am aware of has come of it.

Have I got this all right?

RB

o

To move an infected file, such as a virus, into an area where it cannot cause more harm. Antivirus softwares come with quarantine options so that the user also can keep track of virus activity. You can keep it there or delete it, yes it is locked up I believe it is renamed also so no chance of it getting back on the system..

What was the name of this Virus?

o

When you delete you don't really delete but as Mikies says the first part of the file name is removed. This allows the computer to overwrite that portion of the hard drive when it needs to so. Your virus is probably written over by now and totally useless.

If it will make you feel more comfortable do a defrag, that should take care of the issue.

I believe most things placed in the virus vault are deleted by default after X number of days and they can cause no harm while in the vault.

o

fwiw
Vista, the advanced command window had the 'Recover' command. Expects the full path and filename. Bingo - you can recover accidentally deleted files....... if they havent already been overwritten.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here