Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Processes Making System Irratic

Posted by candler (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 21, 11 at 19:10

DellDimensionDesktop/2003/XP/IE7/1.2GBram/AVG. My mouse is sporadically slowing and starting. Task Manager shows it happens when AVG processes are running. Sometimes it's mixed in with Explorer. I've run AVG for years. Within the past six months or so it interfers as often as not. Could it have something to do with my system's old hard drive/low ram/or whatever, or is there just more stuff out there for AVG to watch for? Whatever is going on has become quite irritating. Thanks, Gene

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Processes Making System Irratic

So if you feel AVG is giving you a hard time why not try Avast, Avira, Microsoft Security Essentials or some other free service? If nothing else it will eliminate AVG one way or the other.

How much free space on the hard drive?
What size is the hard drive?
How long since you did a dick cleanup and defrag?

o
RE: Processes Making System Irratic

the newer versions of AVG are much more resource hungry than the old ones and yes for older systems it can be taxing. I agree why not use the Avg removal tool then try either Microsoft security essentials or Avast both are free and very well rated. I no longer recommend AVG due to some of the issues with the more recent ones.

If you have not run a malwarebytes scan recently that would be a good idea too just make sure nothing else is happening.
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (Win) - Detecting and Removing Malware

o
RE : Processes Making System Irratic

I meant to post a link to removal tools
Antivirus Product Removal Tools

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here