Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Chrome & websites

Posted by mary3444 (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 11, 13 at 18:13

I am not very good on the computer so I need all the help I can get. Over the past month I downloaded google chrome. When I go to a site & try to get a free sample I get the same error every time. The error is from chrome & say Error 501 unknown error. This happens when a site sends me to facebook for a sample also the website P&Geveryday for their free samples. Is there a way I can fix this. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Chrome & websites

• Posted by mikie z9 St.Pete.FL (My Page) on
    Tue, Feb 12, 13 at 10:27

That error is a security error... I see that a lot when I fix xp computers - its because their date and time is set wrong and the web server says Utoh something's wrong and blocks you..

Is your date and time set correctly ?

Most often reason the date and time is wrong is because the big watch battery on the motherboard is dead. It keeps your date/time current when you power off and on. Very simple to replace and just two or three dollars in walmart or maybe only $1 in the computer shop, plus about 100 dollars labor to change it and clean out your dust and give you a tune up.

If you leave that battery deal long enough pretty soon you will have more problems because it also keeps the hardware setting stable. Sooner or later you will have a power outage or hiccup and sooner or later one of those hickups will corrupt the hardware setting.

This post was edited by mikie on Tue, Feb 12, 13 at 10:30

o
RE: Chrome & websites

Hi Mikie, Yes my date & time is correct & always has been. This never happened till I downloaded Chrome. We live in a very rural area & there is no one around to fix computers. Thanks for your help. Mary

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here