Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Not receiving e-mails

Posted by esteban_2009 (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 9, 13 at 17:55

Hi folks,
I have X-P SP-3, IE all working good....except from one friend. He says he sends 3-4 jokes per day, I only receive about 1 per week. He claims he get's nothing from me except about the same. I have had no other complaints from any one else. He doesn't know what OP he is running.
Any idea what could be causing this? In the distant past, we did a good job of sending and receiving to each other.
Thanks,
Steve

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Not receiving e-mails

Does your e-mail client have a Spam filter? If so, maybe his "jokes" are going into the Spam or Junk files.

If you're not having problems with e-mail from others, it sounds as if there might be some problem on his end if it's not your Spam filters.

o

Thanks for the response grandms. I don't think I have a spam filter, at least not that I know of.
I am not having problems receiving from others.
He says I am the only one to report a problem to him.
Crazy ain't it???
Steve

o

You never reported as to what nature of e-mail you are using; ISP provided or on-line. Or, if you are using an on-board application such as Thunderbird. Regardless, I have never known any client or application not to have some sort of "filters (including spam)", "block messages" or "message rules" availability.

Ferret around your e-mail service and review for these. It is not always just the sender that may be blocked, it could be some defined content blocked.

DA

o

DA, Thanks for your comments.
I really don't know enough about computers to give you a good answer. I have ATT/Yahoo (Is that the ISP?). I only use Outlook Express. I went to O.E./Tools/Message Rules/ none of the blocks were checked. I couldn't find anything about spam.
Steve

o

Isp ATT/Yahoo blocks spam in their mail server and/or your online email account too. The outlook express rules is additional to what has already been filtered.

You might investigate your online email account spam folder.

o

What a wonderful, knowledgeable group this is. I am glad you all will allow a dummy like me to join.
Each and everyone of you are correct!
I've spent hours tracking down my username and password for ATT/Yahoo and finally got into the mail account that I have never used. There was the spam folder with all the missing jokes/messages. The only reason I can see them being put there is two or three FW's in the subject line.
Once again, thanks to all who responded.
Steve

o

While you're logged into the online version, you might look in "Options->Mail Options->POP & Forwarding" for this:

It presents you three options in a drop-down like this:

I'm pretty sure I've never changed mine because I've never POP'd it down into a client so I would suspect 'Download spam, but prefix the word "Spam"' was the default at the time my account was created. Maybe it wasn't when yours was created? In any event, if I were POPing it down, I'd most likely select either of the two options beginning with "Download".

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here