Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How Can I Add My Printer To My Wireless Network?

Posted by seattlemike (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 2, 09 at 17:47

Up until about several months ago I had in my home office downstairs a Dell desktop pc (XP) and a Brother laser printer (HL-5140) connected to it, with service through a Qwest broadband modem (GT-701). I then got a Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop (Vista) and a TrendNet router (TEW-633GR) for computer use upstairs. I am now trying to figure out how I can print from my laptop upstairs to my printer downstairs.

This is my current setup:
1. Incoming service to modem.
2. Modem is wired to router.
3. Router is wired to pc.
4. Printer is wired to pc.
5. Laptop upstairs is wireless to router downstairs.

With this setup, I can print only from the pc. Is there a way I can reconfigure things so that I can print from my laptop upstairs to the printer downstairs? TIA!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How Can I Add My Printer To My Wireless Network?

Network everything then when the printer and pc downstairs is running you can add 'new printer to the laptop. Pay attention to the name of it and match it. Or look at trendnet for a wifi print server.

o

You didn't say what Operating System you're using, and whether it's the same on both computers. But here's something to get you started. Go into your Control Panel, then Printers; right-click on the Brother printer, and see if you have a menu item entitled "Sharing." If so, click on that and see what your options are.

o
RE: How Can I Add My Printer To My Wireless Network? Part 2

Sorry...I see you mentioned XP, and I assume both machines have it, so that will be a little easier.

o

Thanks for the quick responses! Here are some answers:

-- kudzu9: The older PC downstairs has XP; the laptop upstairs has Vista.
-- mikie: Getting the laptop a few months ago was my first venture into wireless, but I got some super advice here with the setup. Am not clear what you mean by "network everything" as I consider myself a technically-challenged person who needs more dummied-down details than most folks. Also not sure what is meant by looking at trendnet for a wifi print server. (Believe me, it's not you.)

o

If you share a printer as you guys are talking about, will you need drivers for the different Windows OSs on the downstairs printer? I was checking out my 'Printer Sharing' Window and it mentioned that subject in one of the tabs.

o

seattlemike-
I'm not an expert on this, but here is my suggestion. Install the printer on the laptop if you haven't already done so (just follow the same procedure you followed to install it on your first computer). Once it's installed, follow my other directions above about going into the Control Panel, etc. It should be pretty self-explanatory once you get there, even if your skills are basic. Then tell us if it worked...

o

kudzu9: Ref. your last post. The printer is connected to the pc by wire (cable), so I don't understand how I would install it on the laptop. Maybe it's because I don't fully understand wireless networks. I think I need some step-by-step instructions. Thanks.

o

seattlemike, I will try to expand on "kudzu9's last post".

Before you can make the printer work wirelessly with your laptop you have to make it work by cable.

So, just for this purpose, you need to unplug the "computer end" of the cable that connects the printer to your desktop computer.

Now plug that cable into your laptop. Hopefully the laptop will say "Found new printer, new printer ready for use" - Vista will probably have everything it needs otherwise you will need the original printer cd or else download the drivers from Brother's site.

If the printer now works o.k you can disconnect the cable and plug it back into your desktop. If the printer doesn't work yet, come back here for more help.

Now the wireless part - try going through the other posts again as they have covered most things. In summary, give the printer exactly the same name on the laptop as it has on the desktop and turn on Printer Sharing.

Colin

o

bee4mee: Thanks, Colin. I'll give it a try today. Thanks again.

o

seattlemike-
Sorry I wasn't clearer. When I said to do the install like you did before, I should probably have specified that I meant it literally...with a cable attached. Anyway, hope you've got enough info to succeed now. Let us know how it goes...

o

these are the steps as listed on ehow

Share Your Printer in Windows
Step1
Install the printer. Set up the printer as normal on a machine that is already connected to the wireless network. Connect all necessary cables and install all necessary drivers.
Step2
Open the printers and faxes folder. Click "Start," then "Control Panel," then "Printers and Other Hardware" and then "Printers and Faxes."
Step3
Share your printer. Find the icon for the printer you just installed. Click the icon once and then select SHARE THIS PRINTER in the tasks pane on the left. Now, right click the icon, select properties and go to the SHARING tab. Click "Share Name," and then click "Okay."
Step4
Connect to the printer. On the other computers within the network, open the control panel and click "Printers and Other Hardware." Select "Add a Printer."
Step5
Select "Printer Connection." When prompted, select this option instead of the local printer. Find and select the printer you just installed and select it.
Step6
Print as normal. Next time you print a page, send it to your networked printer.
(you may need to reboot both computers after setup)

This is also a good tutorial
Beginners Guides: Printer Sharing on a Home Network

you should also check to see if you have all the computers set up with the same workgroup name.
"Workgroup name: This is the name of your network if you like. By default Windows XP will call your workgroup MSHOME, but you can change this as long as all the PCs on your network have the same workgroup name. (To see the computers in your network, click My Computer and choose Network Places from the bar on the left side. From there click View Workgroup Computers.)"
(Control Panel > Performance & Maintenance > See basic information about your computer. From there click on Computer Name. Your workgroup is displayed.)

o

If your Wireless network has not been registered on that particular PC or printer, then no key is stored. You can't just add a wireless network to the programme.

Here is a link that might be useful: brother fax 575 ribbon

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here