Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
HP Deskjet printer won't print

Posted by deew (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 23, 08 at 17:18

I have an HP Deskjet 932c printer. It was unhooked while I moved, but when I reconnected it, it wouldn't print. I uninstalled the software, downloaded the newest software for that printer and then reinstalled it. It printed a Test Page just fine, which tells me the printer and computer are communicating. But when I try to print a normal file, nothing happens. The power light doesn't blink (as it usually does when printing), and there are no error messages. I checked all the seeings I could think of, but everything looks as it always did. It is set as the default printer.

If it prints a Test Page, why won't it print a file? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I need my printer!

Dee

Dell Dimension 5100
WinXP

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: HP Deskjet printer won't print

Hi deew,
When my HP 932c gets cranky, I shut down the computer and then unplug the printer from the wall and let it sit for about 30 min or more(give it time for it's tiny little brain to clear out all the old commands).

In the meantime, Go to your Control Panel and printer and double click to open the queue and make sure there are no other jobs/documents listed to be printed. If so , click on "Printer" and "Cancel all documents." This sometimes takes quite awhile.

Make sure the connections to the computer are tight. Then I plug the printer back in and turn the printer on and then boot up, making sure the computer finds the printer. You didn't say what operating system you are using, but it should work on any, except VISTA. I am not saying it won't work on VISTA, but for some reason VISTA isn't compatible with several different brands of older printers.

If rebooting doesn't solve the problem, you might also check that the program you are using to print from is set to use the HP 932c printer, and not another one listed on your computer. I would try to print from more than one program.

Also, as I think back, it seems to me that I used the "Program Compatibility Wizard" when I installed my HP932c printer software on XP.
Arlene

o

Thanks, Arlene. I believe I mentioned that I have XP.

The computer, including the printer, was unplugged overnight due to a bad thunderstorm that was coming. When I turned the computer back on the next morning, I got a bubble that said my printer had been detected, was installed and ready to use. There are no print jobs waiting; they've all been deleted. I checked the connections, and they are all tight. I used whatever installation wizard that popped up to install the software. It was after that that I printed the Test Page, which as I said, printed fine.

I'm open to any more suggestions.

Dee

o

I am no techie, but if it was me, I would first change the "default" and then change it back.

If that doesn't work, I would try to print using the Windows Piture and Fax Viewer, I usually just choose an emoticon I have saved and then print "1" in the smallest size possible

I have previously had success at getting my printer working again doing both those things.

If it still doesn't work, I would uninstall the software and then re-install it using the "Program Compatibility Wizard". You can find it in Program >>Accessories>>

o

Arlene, that still didn't work but thanks for trying.

I discovered that the Printer Port in the Device Manager has an exclamation point in front of it. I uninstalled the port and then re-installed it, but it still shows a problem. I'm confused as to how it could print a Test Page if the port isn't working.

I don't know how to proceed to find the problem and how to solve it. Can anyone help?

Dee

o

Your printer might print the test page because that is on the printer itself giving another indication the the printer fails to communicate with the computer.

Many (if not all) HP printers have a strict method of installing. Perhaps if you uninstall the software and remove the printer connection to the computer and start over. Install the software first. Then during the install you are asked to connect the printer. Hopefully this will solve your problems.

As Arlene suggested, check the connections. If your USB connection to the printer is like my HP you might take a second look to be sure it is seated. Mine goes in at a seemingly strange angle. Just a thought.

o

If you are using the USB connection, try using a different port on the computer. Also try using the printer Centronics connection instead of the USB. The cable you are using may not be good.

o

Thanks for all the responses.

I've tried everything suggested. After the latest re-install, the test page won't even print now. The printer port still has the exclamation point in front of it in the Device Manager. I'm at a loss as to what to do next.

Dee

o

If it were my concern this is what I would try:

Make sure all documents are cancelled.

Remove all software and drivers in accordance with HP instuctions.

Do a Start>Search>HP and remove any remaining entries pertaining to the printer including ancillary software.

Remove the printer from the Device Manager. (Unless I missed it I don't see that you have tried that.)_

Shut down.

Disconnect the printer power cord and the computer connection.

Boot and all is well shut down again.

HP printers can be a little touchy when uninstalling and installing.

Reinstall the printer in accordance with HP's instructions.

Also, do you have an alternate computer you could test the printer on?

DA

o

Just a thought.... Is your Printer USB cable plugged into the same USB port as it was before you moved it? It could be that the computer is still looking for it there.

o

DA, I did everything exactly as you listed it. It still doesn't work. The computer recognized the printer, but they don't communicate. The Printer Port in the Device Manager still has an exclamation in front of it. However, the printer is not listed in the DM. What would keep it from being there when it is listed everywhere else it should be?

No, I don't have any other computer to test the printer on.

Arlene, it's the same port it has been in for over two years before the move.

Still thoroughly stumped. :o(

Dee

o

Boy I hope I am wrong but our HP2300 series office printer just died under similar circumstances. It turned out a circuit board was fried. I was only able to establish communication in the early stages of failure by shutting down the printer, shutting down the system, booting the system, and then initiating the printer. And that didn't work all the time. However, once the link was made it would stay for the day.

DA

o

Dee how did you uninstall the printer the first time? I haven't had any problems in a long time with an HP printer, but when I did I had to call support. They had me put the install cd in and uninstall from it. (There was the option to "install" or "uninstall" on the cd.) Then the tech had me run the uninstall twice. Not sure if Hp still has their cd's setup like that now, but the tech explained to me that if it is not uninstalled properly there would be problems with a new install.

o

Wow, DA. That's freaky. Righ now I'd be happy to get my printer to work for five minutes. I'm going cross-eyed with this thing. I've moved twice and gotten a new computer since I first bought my printer, and I never had any trouble like this before.

msm84, it's been so many uninstalls ago, I'm not sure what I did. I know I used the Add Remove Porgrams feature in the Control Panel, and I manually deleted all the other printer files I could find and then rebooted. I used the HP installer that came with the download to re-install it, and I was very careful to follow the instructions exactly.

I don't have a cd for the printer. I don't remember ever having one and never needed one - until now, evidently. In the middle of all this, AVG snagged a virus with four infected files. It put them in the Vault, and I deleted them. No problems from it and long after the printer troubles began, but it's just one more thing. If I didn't need my printer, I'd chuck it out the window. :o)

I'm weary but still open to suggestions.

Dee

o

Deew, try this. Go to the HP page and click on Support. A page will open with a place to put in the model number and name of your HP product. Also, they have an online chat where you can type in your question(s), and a live person will answer you, usually within a couple of minutes. I have found this very helpful on the few occasions I have needed help with a HP product.

o

Anything on the page linked below help at all?

Here is a link that might be useful: HP printer

o

I will bet a donut here that you did have a disk with your printer. Most HPs come with bundled supporting software applications as well as drivers for access to all the provided features. Windows itself all too often provided enough drivers to print only, not special features. The rcent models also required at times the disks for uninstalls.

DA

o

Here's my latest attempt. Uninstalled the software everywhere I could find it. Did an Error Check and then a defrag. Rebooted. Downloaded the software again. Disconnected the printer and reconnected it accoriding to instructions on the Quck Start poster that came with my printer. After installation, I did a manual test page, which printed out fine. I made sure the printer is listed as the default. But when I tried yet again to print from a computer file, yet again nothing happened.

If I had a cd, I don't now. That's strange because I have the cd for my scanner,which is older than my printer. I also have cd's that came with my first computer, years ago. But no printer cd.

There is still an explanation in front of the Printer Port in the DM, and the printer is still not listed there.

The link you gave, grandms, didn't help, unfortunately. I will go to the hp site to locate the live person when I have the time to devote to it. I've spent so much time on this, my RL is slipping, and I have to catch up.

Thanks to everyone who has tried so hard to help me. If any more ideas occur to anyone, just post it. I'll be checking back here, as I always do. I love this site.

Dee

o

I DID IT!!! MY PRINTER IS BACK!!! I can't believe it. I think the Good Lord took pity on me. I decided to give it one more try.

I went to the Control Panel and went through the Add Hardware feature - again. When it asked to pick a port, I changed it from USB001 (seemingly the default, because it was highlighted, which is why I had left it that way before) to USB003. The test page printed through a computer command and not from the printer itself, so I knew they were now talking to each other.

When I went to the computer to print a file, I nearly fainted when the printer started its pre-print maneuvers and then printed the file. I'm still grinning. :o) I can't believe it was so simple. Maybe I can just yank out those gray hairs I got from all of this.

Again, thanks so much to everyone who took the time to offer their help. It is deeply appreciated.

Dee

o

Good work Dee :-)

Thank you for coming back and letting us know you were successful too, always nice to know if things worked out or not.

o
HP Deskjet printer won't print

I am trying to use my HP Deskjet All-in-One 4215. I am getting an error when trying to install "client-error-request-value-too-long".

==========================================================
Rony stephen.
HP Q5942a

o

A little more info would be helpful, your link takes us to a toner sales site.

What operating system are you using?
Does this occur when using Cups?

o

Hello

I got the some problem with my printer that is HP Deskjet 1010. i am unable to print one of my friend suggest me better to re-install the drivers once again i tried is same thing now my printer working is good. so if you have any problem with your printer better to re-install the drivers once again and check it

Download And Installation Guide For HP DeskJet 1510

After downloading the HP Deskjet 1010driver.
Click on the downloaded .exe file.
Browse and select the location where you want to store the extracted files.
Click on Next button.
Now the installation wizard will appear.
Follow the instructions given on screen and finally press OK.
The driver for HP DeskJet 1510e All in one printer will be installed and you can enjoy printing, scanning or copying the desired data.

Catrina Honey

Here is a link that might be useful: HP Deskjet 1010 Drivers Information

o

Hello
I am new to this site, but I want share my experience on this site. Actually, I got the problem with HP Deskjet 845C in that The problem I am unable to print properly I asked the one technique he suggested me once re-install the driver. I did what he said. Now my printer is working very good. If you have any problem with your printer better re-install and check your printer it may work better...

HP Deskjet 845c Drivers Installation Guide:

You can simply download it via the link provided below. Just click on it to either run it or download the .EXE file. If you choose to run it, then the HP Deskjet 845c Printer driver will be installed automatically, on the other hand to download the source .EXE file, you will need to specify a location on your disk drive from where you can click on it to proceed with the driver installation.

Heera Tagore

Here is a link that might be useful: HP Deskjet 845c Drivers Download

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here