Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New Java Update info 2-1-13

Posted by ravencajun (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 1, 13 at 17:16

Accelerated Java Critical Update

Quoting:
"The scheduled February Java critical patch update was accelerated due to active exploitation "in the wild" of one of the vulnerabilities affecting the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) in desktop browsers.

The new Java release is Java� SE Development Kit 7, Update 13 (JDK 7u13), with the full version string for this update release being 1.7.0_13-b20 (where "b" means "build") and the version number is 7u13."

Oracle Java SE Critical Patch Update Advisory - February 2013

edit to add this link.
Why should I uninstall older versions of Java from my system?

This post was edited by ravencajun on Fri, Feb 1, 13 at 17:22

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New Java Update info 2-1-13

Havent found any need to re-install Java...have yet to run across any site that requires it..far as I am concerned, good riddance

o

Gene,

We were separated at birth. I feel the same way.

I was not previously aware of how much I don't need Java for my use. There was no way of knowing until I removed it from my system. I did, and everything is still normal.

I do keep a download of the current version of Java in my system's Download folder in the event that I come across something that I might need it for. After the task I would just remove Java again.

Right now it is just collecting dust.

DA

o

I usually run FF 18.0.1 - occasionally IE 9, 64 bit. I had Java for both. I did the uninstall in Control Panel. They are gone from the list but on FF add on's it still shows up as disable. I have tried to follow manual uninstall and am lost. Is the only way to uninstall FF, maybe wait a day or 2 then reinstall it? Any assistance would be appreciated.
64 bit, Win 7, HP Pav dv6.

o

You could always try resetting Firefox if you're having issues

Here is a link that might be useful: reset-firefox-easily-fix-most-problems

o

Java is gone forever unless something I really want needs it.

o

There was a time way back when I need Java to watch the live Doppler Radar on my local news site but who knew once the Java was removed weeks ago that the live Doppler works as it always has. For now I can't see a need for it so I doubt it will ever be back in my system.

o

zep, my only issue is all the Java scare. I would like it gone. I checked the reset FF and it looks to me like extensions would go but it doesn't say anything about addons.

o

I am having problems with FF and found this thread - I am completely out of the news loop so had heard nothing about Java problems so...hope you can help. I have a mac running 10.6.8. In the middle of watching netflix last night I got an error message saying that Java plug in was disabled and to enable it and restart FF. I checked everything and it was enabled, I disabled my ghostery, etc. Nothing made a difference. Today I tried an update to java and downloaded that (found by check for updates on my mac menu). still didn't fix it. So I found this thread and decided I would uninstall the whole thing. I found directions on FF about how to uninststall Java. But when I seach my mac for JavaAppletPlugin.plugin I get nothing, nowhere. If I just search for Java, I get dozens of hits, but none of them for the applet plugin.

I went back and disabled it, but am wondering what to do now. How can I uninstall it if I can't find it? Any ideas?

I appreciate any help!

This post was edited by olychick on Sat, Feb 2, 13 at 17:11

o

Apple disabled Java in all Macs, more info in link.

Here is a link that might be useful: No need to think cuz Apple will make all decisions for you

o

Thanks so much; it explains what's happening!

o

Java gone here, too; and since I haven't noticed a difference, I won't be reinstalling it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here