SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
redcurls_gw

Was my friend scammed? How to determine? Sorry, long.

redcurls
11 years ago

A friend of mine e-mailed me about three days ago and was extremely upset. Said her Hotmail (which is her PRIMARY e-mail) had been hacked. She couldn't get into her Hotmail and couldn't remember her "secret question" answers because she had set it up back in the 90's. Then she went on to elaborate that she and her husband called Hotmail. Don't know where they got the number. The e-mail said "they farm out their customer service." Said "they" took control of her computer and she and hubby watched the cursor doing things. (I'm familiar with my son working on mine from his house in the same way, and the first time it IS amazing.) Went on to say "cost us $321 and now they have AVG to protect everything and it's OK." They called and cancelled all their credit cards, etc. Something sounds fishy to me. I know for a fact, you can get AVG free, but am not sure which version she got. She said that they checked all their cancelled credit card today and there had not been any other charges. The last one was the $321 one they authorized. I think they've been a victim of a scam. Anything I should advise her?

Comments (8)