SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
deew_gw

Computer Crashing - Help!

deew
13 years ago

I downloaded and installed the latest Windows Security Updates. After I restarted my CMP, it crashed. I couldn't open any programs. I couldn't open System Restore. I could get into the Control Panel but couldn't open anything. I was able to open folders offline but no individual files. I couldn't open Firefox or IE. I shut my computer down, unplugged it, restarted and still nothing. I managed to get into My CMP and got to Error Check and ran that, but still no luck. I was able to open Avast and ZoneAlarm but couldn't do anything in them. I disabled each in turn but they aren't the problem.

I shut down again and then when I tried to get back into My CMP, it wouldn't open. Avast and ZA opened again but wouldn't close.

I shut down once more then tried to boot into Safe Mode to see if that would help. It wouldn't go and booted normally. But this time, everything worked fine. Files and programs opened, and I am here now on the net, using my computer.

However, I just went back and tried to open a file offline, and it's back to not opening anything. So far, I can still move around the net, but I'm afraid if I shut Firefox down, it won't let me back on.

I'm totally stumped. Can anyone tell me what the problem might be and how to fix it. I'll stay online, unless I get booted off, until I can get this solved.

I have a Dell Dimension 5100 running WinXP SP3.

Dee

Comments (3)