Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
more email spam from .info sources

Posted by sushipup (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 9, 12 at 16:57

I check the properties on most junk mail that I get and an increasing number are using an address that ends in .info. Gibbish names, as well (at least gibberish in English.) I have blocked several of the domain names, but is there a way I can block ".info" entirely? I use Outlook Express.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: more email spam from .info sources

It has been a while since I used OE.

You should be able to create a message rule which would take the entire domain directly to Trash. This action would not block them, but rather dispose of them without any action on your part.

DA

o

Thanks, I'll try a block -> trash on .info and see what happens. Seems like I'm getting several from that source every day. Sigh.

o

Well, blocking ".info" didn't work as one got thru today supposedly from FTD Florists, but I'll just keep on blocking the full domain names.

o

*.info

asteric = everything before that dot. you might need also
*.*.info

dont bounce back to sender !

o

thanks!

o
RE: didn't work

Didn't work. I had set *.info, but one just came thru fromm czechstite.info to sell me medical billing training. Sigh.

o
RE: even more

And *.*.info didn't work either. Just got one pretending to be from DISH TV.

o

click some more rules, most likely its not comming from .info then. .. they are faking the header but the real is there too maybe if you look at source. They are tricky to read with all the gar bage there.

I dont have OE to look at but quickly looked on the web...
Where the From line contains people
Where the Subject line contains specific words
Where the To or CC line contains people
Delete it from server

o

I don't see anything else of an address when I check the details. There are too many to catch just using specific words in the subject, and there's always something new coming down the pike.

I'll play with it more this weekend. Just a new source of spam. I need stronger spam software, I do believe.

o

How about *@*.info ??

o
RE: another thing to try

Will try it.....

o

You might also want to check with your ISP and ask why so much spam it making it through to your in-box. I know some ISP's and free, web-based email services offer varying degrees of filtering. You might want to check that as well.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here