Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A curiosity question about Junk mail

Posted by sue_va (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 9, 12 at 16:30

I use Thunderbird email. Each day I empty my JUNK folder, and today I counted 45 of them. Six were Magic Jack.Some of them came first to the Inbox and I sent them to JUNK.

I have looked at many of them and notice only a couple have "to unsubscribe" on them any more. I wouldn't use that if they did, but what I have found is that if you scroll down just a little you will often find what appears to be messages about this or that. One was about plastic bags, recycling and garbage. Another dealt with the best fish tacos this side of the border. Another was about Mazdas, Toyotas, Subarus, etc. in large bold text; and there were others.

What is this all about? There doesn't seem to be any way to stop them.

Sue

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A curiosity question about Junk mail

you could create a new filter in your spam filters and block anything with magic Jack in it.

I get very little spam and never that one.

o

RC, I'm not more concerned about Magic Jack than the others, I mentioned those because there were just so many of them.

I have Malwarebytes, SuperAntiSpyware, and Spyware Blaster, and update and run them about every two weeks. I just don't know what else to do to stop all this Spam, and find it odd that some have those messages on them.

Sue

o

Sue, I'm getting a new slew of junk, much from ".info" addresses. Check the properties and set up a block on the domain name. I've been getting the spam using the name of AARP and other legit companies, but I can assure you that they don't use .info addresses for spamming.

o

Sushipup, I had not even looked at the from addys. So I did and many of them were the ".info" including Magic Jack, and the AARP.

This is my "learn something new every day" lesson. I'm going to check out more of the addys and block them.

Thanks so much!

Sue

o

Take the address and remove the part before and including the @, then block everything after. I've seen a number of these .info addresses using the same domain, altho new ones show up every day.

o

So far I've gotten a few less by blocking the .info ones.

Tomorrow I will have more time and I'll work on the address/@ way.

Hope that works.

Sue

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here