Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Email address hacked

Posted by leel (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 2, 14 at 16:18

Apparently my email address has been hacked & I'm being inundated w/ messages of mail being returned as undeliverable, mainly from email sent to German addresses, altho a few are from other European countries.

Any way to interrupt this flood, other than blocking & sending to spam?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Email address hacked

Web mail or email client? Change your password if you are able.

o

Microsoft Outlook 2010. Can't change the address; too many other problems if I do:(

o

But there should be nothing to stop you changing the password as azinoh suggested.

o

Do you use Gmail, Yahoo, Outlook.com, AOL? Outlook 2010 may be the client you use to manage your email, but you can check and/or modify settings at your actual provider's site to help with things. You may, for example, be able to check past activity and see if/when an unfamiliar IP address was used to login to your account. You should also check to see if settings have changed (a new forwarding address added? a new filter added? an alternate email or cell phone number added/changed? Etc.).

But at the same time it's not necessarily the case that your account has been hacked. If all you're getting is 'email undeliverable' kinds of emails, it's possible that your email address was merely spoofed by some spammer, which doesn't require their having access to your account. When the emails couldn't reach their intended recipients for whatever reasons, they were returned to the spoofed/fake address used to send them: yours. If this is the case, it might just be a brief inundation of email which will quickly subside once all the undeliverables are 'returned' to you. In the meantime, you could create a temporary filter at your webmail site telling it to delete all emails with a return to sender type subject. Other than that, I don't think there's anything to do to stop the flood. :-(

o

Time to check for malware and viruses. The hijacking of an Outlook addressbook has been a reoccurring concern for as long as I can remember.

DA

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here