Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Addict Thing

Posted by bus_driver (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 9, 13 at 16:13

This pops up on eBay and on Craigslist whenever I search for something. More annoying than helpful. I cannot find it in my list of programs and thus the uninstall instructions on their website are useless- probably quite intentional. Most of the stuff on their website is just baloney.
Is this on my computer or on the websites I visit? How to get rid of it permanently?

Here is a link that might be useful: Here

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Addict Thing

What brower are you using..
maybe;;;; Go thru all the browsers I guess.. the PlugIn's and add-on's and extensions and toolbars. They probably all have it.

You're probably cookied up too... clear the cookies and temporary internet files.

Right click your desktop and look at Gadgets Menu ??

If you have CCleaner look in the program startup section and its tabs.

o

Sounds like this or at least it's what I found googling and tells how to remove. I run malewarebytes after removing this type of stuff. Mary

Here is a link that might be useful: addict thing

o

Mary, the site you linked has a very poor rating from WOT. I think this is because they try to get you to download something. However, they do give instructions for manually removing, but OP has written that it is not listed in his ADD/REMOVE in Control Panel.

I would be very leery of downloading something from such a website.

o

My browser is Mozilla Firefox. I ran CCleaner just this past Monday. I just bought and ran MalwareBytes since my free trial ran out a couple of moths ago. It found nothing. I am trying to grasp all that mikie posted-- most of those are things I know nothing about.

o

Oops didn't see that was just looking that they showed how to uninstall instructions. In googling I think it's a browser add on? If it were me I would run malewarebytes and see what it finds and look in the browser for add ons. There were many more places on google that talked about it. Mary

o

Wait did malewarebytes change and it's not free anymore? Haven't ran it in a few weeks but the one I use was never a trial and always completely free. I use the one that says free download and it has never asked me to pay. Mary

Here is a link that might be useful: malewarebytes

o

Ok read here. Look for buzzdock adds in the control panel. Seems they are connected? Mary

Here is a link that might be useful: buzzdock

o

malwarebytes is free I am concerned what you bought. There's a pay version but what you are describing doesn't sound right.

o

Malewarebytes pro has a 14 day free trial. Maybe that's what they are using. Mary

o

I was having a similar type of annoyance and I found a Firefox Addon for Adblock Plus called Adblock Plus Popup. You just right click on anything that shows up and select "block this site" and that's it.
Maybe someone knows if it has any issues?

Here is a link that might be useful: adblock plus popup

This post was edited by laat2 on Sun, Feb 10, 13 at 2:58

o

Finally clicked on "Tools" on the browser. Click on "Add Ons" in the drop down -- there was Addict Thing and some other stuff. Click "Remove." Seems to be gone. It possibly would be helpful at times but was very intrusive and annoying.

o

From here

So far we don't see any alerts for this browser helper, but if you don't use any function on this browser helper object. It's better to remove it

o

My computer has Internet Explorer which I rarely use. IE did not have the Addict Thing. As best I remember, the Addict Thing was found at "Extensions" on Mozilla.

This post was edited by bus_driver on Sun, Feb 10, 13 at 13:50

o

Look in add remove for buzzdock because from what I read it comes with that add on. Glad you got rid of it. Wonder how it got there in the first place if you didn't install it? Mary

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here