Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
External hard drive

Posted by bus_driver (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 2, 14 at 15:29

My Western Digital external hard drive has quit. Less than 2 years old Has it's own power supply and connects with USB. Had a computer problem and unplugged all the USB devices. In the process, the drive was knocked over. It did not take a vertical fall, just toppled to the side on the shelf where it was sitting. Could a jolt that minor damage the unit?
All the other USB devices now work fine.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: External hard drive

Does the computer see the drive or not? Did you recheck the cable or try a different USB port?

o

I bought a little cheap alum $10 case to make a portable hard drive from my old laptops drive. Anyhow for what its worth...

If I unplug the portable drive from usb it wont work next time I plug it in hot ... until I completely shut off the computer and have the usb drive plugged in when I power up and it loads windows. Then windows finds the drive and usually gives it a unique different letter or name which I just simply rename it the way I like.

o

Thank you for taking the time to respond. My computer has been warning of USB device that it does not recognize every time I log in with my password.
Today with your advice I unplugged the power lead from the drive and the computer did audible blip. Reconnected it. Unplugged the USB cord at the drive, audible blip, reconnected it audible blip. Disconnected the USB at the back of the computer with audible blip and reconnected at the front with audible blip and the light on the drive is now ON!
My Book J now again shows up on the Computer window. Need to move the USB connection back to the back of the computer if possible as the two front USB ports are often used for other things.
I am left wondering exactly what happened to make it stop working.
Thanks for your help.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here