Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Program for controlling CapsLock?

Posted by biwako_of_abi (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 4, 14 at 15:12

I have an new, inexpensive keyboard with no little lights to indicate when CapsLock is on, and I find myself constantly typing all in caps after inadvertently hitting the CapsLock key. I only realize it when I look up at the screen again (not a good typist), and I often have to retype whole lines.

Years ago I used a program called AntiCapsLock, which worked for me, but now that I have Windows 7, the OrionSoft site that makes the software gives Win XP as the latest OS for using it, and there is a message saying that as of "now" (Dec.2013, I think it was) "there is no version of ACL for Vista". I presume that that means it is not compatible with Win 7.

Does anyone have a solution for this problem? I would like to be able to toggle between CapsLock OFF and CapsLock ON.

...Or maybe I have to change keyboards!

Dell Inspiron 660s, Cheap Dell keyboard
Windows 7 Home Premium with SP1, build 7601

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Program for controlling CapsLock?

Program called key mapper I've used when laptop had bad key. Disable or make caps lock another regular caps?

Here is a link that might be useful: http://justkeepswimming.net/keymapper/default.aspx

o

Try to be more careful with your fingers and the problem goes away.

Maybe use the right shift key instead of the left, if that's what's causing the problem?

o

Keyboards are cheap. I'd buy another one.

o

I bought 3 tan coloured keyboards ('cos I do not like the black ones) for $1 each at a local charity store.

o

Snidely, that's the most original idea I've come across; but I'm afraid that it would make my rather idiosyncratic typing even worse. I've never been able to use the right Shift properly.

Well, thanks to all of you who responded. It does seem as if my best bet is just to buy a keyboard that has lights to alert me to when CapsLock is on. Just wanted to be able to use this cheap one because it came with the new computer I got so that my husband and I could continue to use Win 7 for a long time! But sometimes life is easier if we are willing to spend a little more!

o

"...alert me when CapsLock is on..."

Would an audible beep be sufficient?

How to set a computer to beep when Caps Lock or Num Lock key is pressed

I haven't tried it but it looks promising.

o

Oh, wonderful, Chuggerguy! It works! Only I have to remember to either turn off or wear the headphones I usually have plugged into the computer. Many thanks!

o

You're welcome Biwako. Glad it worked for you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here