Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Windows 7 SP1 completed

Posted by grandms (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 22, 11 at 14:57

I just finished downloading and installing SP1 for Windows 7 without incident. I had the minimum download since I have done all prior updates, but it still took an hour. I made sure everything was in good order by running a scan with Windows Security Essentials before beginning. I had done a complete backup of my C drive yesterday to an external HDD. Windows 7 always sets a restore point before doing an update. Afterwards I did a disk cleanup to clean up the service pack backup files and any other useless files I had. Now I am doing another complete backup which will include SP1. So much easier than when I did the service packs for my XP system.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Windows 7 SP1 completed

Thanks for the post. I just got notice of W7 SP1, and am hesitant to install. I will wait a few hours or maybe days before braving it.

o

Grandms do we get the option to save the service pack prior to installing? Sure hope so

o

I didn't see such an option. Now I just used the regular Windows Update, which was suggested by a blogger who seemed to be "in the know". It was he who suggested doing a backup prior to the update, which is always a good suggestion, and running a scan for virus and malware. No mention of disabling firewall or AV programs. I use the Windows firewall and MSE on that computer, so I just ran the scan and the went for the download and install. As I recall, when the download was done, I then had to check for it to install, but no Save option. I suppose if you used the Microsoft Download Center with the standalone installer, you would have the option of saving, but he suggested that if you are updating a single PC that you use Windows Update.
By the way, this fellow's name is Brandon LeBlanc.

o

Thanks for the info grandms, I have the download coming in as I write. I am saving it so I can hopefully slipstream it into Win 7 for future use.

o

I personally will be waiting a few days, seeing lots of reports on the forums of the servers being swamped causing the downloads to fail. Nothing tremendously important in it if you already have yours fully updated so no need to rush let all the testers get theirs LOL.
But good reports on the success of the update not causing any issues which is always good since we know from past experiences that is not always the case.

o

I am hearing something repeatedly on the forums if you are offered any other updates with SP1 for windows 7 do all of the other updates first reboot then go back and get SP1.

Still several having the fail at 18% download, those who then go download the stand alone iso file, installing while off line and with AV products off, are having success it is a much bigger file of course than the one coming through windows update. Here is a link to the 7 forums with some of the issues.
Windows 7 - SP1 Not installing over Windows update

Over all however it is sounding like in general most people are going through windows update and having a successful go of it right off.

o

Done...successful

o

This is an excellent article with good info on SP1 by the windows secrets newsletter.
What you need to know about Windows 7 SP1

o

Does SP1 apply to W7 Starter? I have a netbook that hasn't been used in a few weeks, maybe I should turn it on to see if SP1 applies there too...

I'd guess it does.

I am waiting for a while on my W7 Home Premium.

o

Have mercy, I am on dialup!
Who wants to start the 1st guess at how long it will take?

o

it is for all versions of windows 7
urlee it is a big one but if you get it through windows update it will be much smaller than the stand alone version.
MS must think no one is on dial up anymore with some of the sizes of their updates and patches.

o

Would it work to have someone put this on a disk to download if still using dialup? I needed to do that for things a couple of times before upgrading to DSL so feel your pain.

I've done all other updates with one exception. Optional: Live Essentials 2011 (KB2434419), reads Messenger, Family Safety, Movie Maker, Hotmail Connector and replaces tool bar with Bing Bar, etc. ...nothing there I can see I want.

Would I be OK doing the SP1 download without installing the above?

o

urlee it is a big one but if you get it through windows update it will be much smaller than the stand alone version.
It is 73.6MB
I just see now I have the KB2488113 to do. Did you all update that one?

o

as I stated it is being suggested strongly to do any other updates that are offered along with sp1 first then reboot and come back and get sp1. The reason I have heard is that they are to help prepare your system for sp1.

morz8 there is a stand alone version of sp1 which can be downloaded burned to disc or to a flash drive and then installed it is a bigger files size but yes you can certainly do that. the link to it is in one of the links I provided above.

Service Pack 1 (KB976932)

here it is.

o

As I always do recommend, all SPs and cummulative updates should be installed independent of other downloads. And, to this day I still preach only two or three updates at a time regardless of focus.

In this case, RCs forum observation of the need to do the others first can be observed as logical and possible. If that protocol eliminates or reduces risk it is an excellent idea.

DA

o

What I was referring to about the KB2488113 one was if it caused problems. Yes I DL'd it and all is well.
All I have is the SP1 one to do. Am waiting to hear if it plays well before I do it.

o

I am on high speed internet and would have to say, that Vista SP1 has to be one of the longest/slowest SPs that I have ever done....I think the download and install took about 2 hrs and now the laptop has restarted and is doing its config...all other updates were done prior to and laptop restarted...this almost rivals a new OS install..lol

o
RE: Windows 7 SP1 completed1

Correct that to read Win7 SP1 ((giving head a shake))

o

That's odd, Genes. I am on 3G wireless, which isn't all that fast, and I was finished in an hour. Your download must have been larger than mine for some reason.

o

gramdms, what speed is the 3G wireless?

I was involved in the early national and international standards work that produced the interface specs for 3G and for the competitor (mostly USA).

I use a relatively slow DSL of 1.5 MBits down stream.

o

Well, it varies. Supposedly download speeds of 600 Kbps to 1.4 Mbps and upload speeds of 500 to 800 kbps. Much depends on how much usage a particular tower is experiencing, and with more and more smart phones using data technology, speeds have dropped in the almost two years I have been using, especially in the evenings.

o

I bought my mother a new tower with Win7 and installed 51 Windows updates the other day which because of my standard of only doing a few at a time took awhile to get them installed. Today I stopped by and saw the SP1 waiting. From start to finish it took about 50 minutes and was a bit of a slow download. At any rate it installed and the computer is running with no apparent problems. As an aside... it did seem to hang a bit at the 18% level but in a couple of minutes it started again though as noted slowly.

o

I just installed SP1 as well. I have Windows 7 Professional x64 and a 5 mb cable connection. The whole process, including restart, took about 40 minutes for me. The download did hang around 19%, 41% and 91% but resumed in several minutes. :-)

o

For a lot of info on the various sp1 issues etc this tech net blog has quite a bit.

Here is a link that might be useful: sp1 info

o

Urlee,
Did you have any luck downloading SP1? I'm also on dialup and am not looking forward to it. May order the DVD instead, only $6 for shipping from MS, but wanted to see if some brave soul with dialup was able to through Windows Update and how long it took. Thanks.

o

Hi Sue,

I was planning on doing so way back when but held off when reading of the trouble it was causing so I didn't go ahead.
Was hoping to hear it is safe now to do so.

I didn't know about the available DVD which sounds like a good thing to have as long as I intend on being a dialup customer. Where do I go to get it?

Thanks,
urlee

o
RE: Windows 7 SP1 completed00000000

PS:Sue

How come your Yahoo addy does not work?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here