Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is TDSSKiller ok to use?

Posted by albert_135 (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 17, 12 at 14:45

I keep getting a message from Avast that says it has blocked [something, it varies] [mal] and \\\globalroot\systemroot\svchast.exe.

Some sites say TDSSKiller will fix it. Is TDSSKiller ok to use?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is TDSSKiller ok to use?

I have Avast and occasionally it reports that it has blocked a certain site. That means that it is preventing you from going to that site because it might damage your computer...it doesn't mean that malware has been installed. Are you getting this Avast message randomly or only when you try to visit a specific site or sites?

TDSSKiller is a fix for a specific rootkit. What makes you think this relates to what you are describing? My view is that you should never run such software unless you are sure it's needed. While TDSSKiller is provided by a reliable anti-virus company -- Kaspersky -- it has been known to mess up some users' computers.

o

I would only advise using it with the guidance of the support forums that specialize in malware removal, like LzD.

o

svchast.exe
Command: %WinDir%\svchast.exe
Description:
Added by the Troj/Lineage-AV password-stealing Trojan for the online game Lineage.

Also

Characteristics of Troj/Lineage-AV
Turns off anti virus applications
Steals information
Installs itself in the registry

I'd follow all instructions at the link below for Malware removal and have more complete scans done.

Joe

Here is a link that might be useful: malware-removal/log-posting-instructions

o

Question in OP is moot. Everything quit. We did a restore.

This was the computer on which we watched TV. Hulu, network archived stuff, CSPAN etc. We were seeing the message from Avast at the beginning of each and every commercial or the pauses where a commercial would have been expect with live TV. No more after the restore. Nothing was lost.

o

Ok. So perhaps you got lucky and Avast blocked it.

Joe

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here