Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Laptop won't hook up to wireless network

Posted by sjt2900 (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 25, 11 at 13:08

(Windows XP) (IE8) We have a Dell Laptop with NETGEAR wireless adapter. We're trying to hook it up to the desktop computer that has a Linksys Wireless Router. We had everything hooked up and it worked well for a while, but then we started having to unplug the router and plug it back it to get the connection. We removed the NETGEAR program from the laptop and reloaded it. Now we can't hook up to the wireless connection at all. When the NETGEAR program is trying to hook up we get "WPS prodecure timeout. Failed to Connect to Network." Our notebook hooks up just fine. Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Laptop won't hook up to wireless network

When my linksys router went bad, that is what it was doing.

o

The laptop is 9 years old, but the netbook is new. Could that be a problem?

o

The age might be a problem: networking can be a pain sometimes and some components don't always work reliably with others. I'm wondering, though if it's your router starting to go out. I've had several fail on me, and the result was erratic behavior and lots of re-boots.

o

try a full power down of everything I do mean everything. Power off the computers, the router, the modem etc. leave all power off for 5 mins or so, then power up in this order, power to modem only let it get fully lit up, then power on to router, let it get fully lit up, then power up your computers letting each get fully loaded. Then try to connect to your wireless, I assume you have put in your wireless network passphrase for the laptops that are trying to access the wifi network.

o

Powering down didn't do any good. Looks like we're getting a new router. Thanks for the help!

o

If one computer connects and the other doesn't why is it the router?

What I might suggest, is turn off the wireless security on the router. See if the laptop connects then. If it does, then there's something off in the security settings.

o

mike_kaiser-
There's also the possibility that the combination of the Netgear adapter and the old laptop isn't entirely compatible with the router.

o

My experience has been that it's usually the security settings that cause the problem. At least it's a starting point for troubleshooting.

If the netbook is accessing the network, it seems to indicate the router is functioning. If there is a compatibility issue, I'm not sure that blindly buying a new router is the best course of action. Perhaps it's the Netgear adapter? How old is this thing?

To the original poster, what is model number of Netgear adapter?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here