Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how do you "drag" from trash?

Posted by naturelle (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 9, 13 at 12:15

I deleted a file and I want to retrieve it. I get a message that says I have to drag the item from the trash. How do I do that? Step to step instructions would be appreciated.

Imac with Snow Leopard

Thanks,

Ted

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how do you "drag" from trash?

Click on the item you want, then click on "restore" at the top.

o

Not sure of the way it's done on Macs, but with Windows, right click on trash can, then Open, and either restore all items or if only one is needed, just drag it onto desktop and then send to wherever you want it.

o

Interesting, I've never considered dragging from the recycle bin. So I did a test and sure enough on my XP machine I could drag a file to the desktop.

Still, I think it better to highlight the item and click on "restore" as described in the first reply. This method will put the file back in the folder it was deleted from and, I think, take actions at the OS level if the item has a active function, say for example, if I delete program that was "installed" and I recover from the recycle bin by "restore" I think the program will again be ready to use. Not sure what happens if the file is dragged onto the desktop.

I watch and read so I too can learn...and soon forget : (

o

Good thing about that Jerry is you keep on learning new things...lol

o

Learning is why I read here. I was surprised that problems can be solved in different ways. Buying a PC and learning to use it is the best thing I have ever done for myself. Now if I could just remember what I learned. (:-((

o

Ted,

Interesting question. It appears you have a couple of options depending on where the file came from. Based on what I have in my Trash Can at the moment:

Ordinary File - right click and choose "put back" or click on the gear icon at the top of the screen and choose "put back". You can also drag the item to the desktop or one the places in the left pane of the window.

I also happen to have a video "Podcast" (from iTunes) in my trash can at the moment. The is no "put back" option but I can drag the file to the desktop or one of the places in the left pane of the window.

o

Imac Snow Leopard here too! All you have to do is open the trash folder and then left click on the item you want back and you can drag it to your desktop or you can open the folder you deleted it out of and drag it right back into that folder. As long as it's in the trash you won't be able to open it, but you CAN open it from either your desktop or another folder.

I never heard of dragging things until I got my Mac, and now that I'm used to it I LOVE it, it's SO much quicker than right clicking things and then finding the right thing to click from the menu!

Skybird

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here