Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Attn: Kindle 3 owners.

Posted by mudlady (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 27, 11 at 10:56

I found information stating that Amazon will replace non-lighted covers if they are casuing reboots and crashes. They say the connections for the cover to hold the unit are metal and may cause electronic malfunctions. Here is the artocle:

http://tinyurl.com/25wnt79

Nancy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Attn: Kindle 3 owners.

I just called Amazon and they are crediting my VISA for $37.79 (cost of the non-lighted cover) and making a second credit for $25 to cover the additional cost of the lighted Kindle cover. I hope the light isn't annoying. Pretty good customer service and I don't even have to return the faulty cover! I have to wait a few days for the new cover, but I don't have to go without a Kindle for any length of time and that is important to me.
Nancy

o

I had read so many reviews that the way they hook into the kindle on the actual side of the kindle it was stressing the plastic of the kindle and breaking them so be aware of that too.
My sister just got a kindle 3 as a gift and I warned her so she got one of the cases that the kindle just slides in to much like the case for the PDN she got hers at overstock.com for $11, it was all she needed she has a clip on light.

o

$11!!!!! I wish I had someone who would like one so I could give it as a gift! Maybe I should try to get another one for back-up ;-)
Nancy

o

Here it is and it also comes in pink
Skque Kindle 3G Wi-Fi Black Leather Case

Pink Leather Case

for that price and the low shipping cost there it is worth it as a back up case.

o

I'm maybe a little confused here...the basic kindle according to amazon is now the 3rd generation..and is called a kindle3, the kindle 3G Wi-Fi, is the next step up and if I am not mistaken the top of the line is the KindleDX...when I recently ordered silicone covers for my Kindle purchased in Jan of this year, I thought it was a Kindle2..received the covers and they were way too big..got hold of amazon by email and found out they are called the Kindle3..thats my take on it, hoping to save someone else getting the wrong stuff

o

there is a webpage that details how to tell which version kindle you have I had to send that to my sister because she is not techy at all and had no idea which she had or if it was even able to use her wifi.
Also this wiki explains the time frame for them and versions
Amazon Kindle

the latest generation version is quite a bit smaller than the kindle2 so the cases/skins would not be interchangeable.

o

could someone with a kindle 3 please tell me how to tell my sister how to find the browser on it?? I have no idea and she is going nuts trying to find it and I know it has to be very easy, I have looked all over the kindle pages and do not see the info.

She has some books that are on her Kindle for PC that are not sending over to her Kindle 3 no matter how many times she tries to sync for each one. So she was going to try going right to feedbooks.com and getting them from her Kindle but does not know where the darn browser is. She has been able to sync successfully for other books but not these new ones, they do show up fine in the kindle for pc home.

o

If you press the Menu( keep pressing) button...until you see "experimental" as one of the options, then Browser, that should put you on the browser page...RC... The title of your thread was Kindle3 owners, you mentioned a couple of covers, but the link you supplied is to a Kindle 3G Wi-Fi which is diff than a Kindle3

o

There are two versions of the third generation Kindle. The cheaper one has WiFi only, the more expensive one has 3G celluar data connectivity and WiFi.

Then there's the Kindle DX, which has the larger screen. Amazon also call it a third generation device but I'm not actually sure there where three iterations of the device. It also offers 3G and WiFi connectivity.

o

I have had my replacement Kindle cover for 3 days and the Kindle is working properly. I continued looking for an explanation for the reason the unlighted cover caused the problem but the lighted cover didn't. I found a theory that static electricity was the cause of the problem, but that doesn't explain why the unlighted cover was the culprit. One person reported that the problem didn't start until the weather was really cold, and static electricity was more likely to occur. I did buy my Kindle 3 in the late Fall and the problems didn't start until December. I get shocks from walking across my carpet when it is really cold and recently the temperature in my area had been quite moderate--and the static electricity has not been a problem. I don't know if the improvement in my Kindle is due to the new cover or the decrease in static electricity. A large cold front is predicted so I may get another chance to test the static electricity theory.
Nancy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here