SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kudzu9

Warning about Foxit Reader software update

kudzu9
10 years ago

I've been using Foxit Reader, an alternative to Adobe Reader for a couple of years. Earlier this week I got a notice of an upgrade to a newer version, and went ahead with the install. Afterwards, my browser home page and my search engine were set to something called AVG Search, which I had to spend some time undoing. How did this happen? Well, I am usually careful with any upgrade and inspect the install windows to make sure that there are no unwanted extras coming along for the ride. With the Foxit update, I saw no notice of anything extra. As I later found out, they do give notice that you are agreeing to install the extra crapware...but only if you choose "Custom Install" rather than the default "Standard Install." If I would have been savvy enough to click "Custom Install," I would have apparently seen a box that I could have unchecked and avoided this little problem.

So...just a warning to others out of this. Even if you don't use Foxit, this kind of tactic can happen with installs of other software. Although I have been satisfied with the performance of Foxit Reader, I am not happy with their underhanded approach to sticking me with unwanted extra junk.

I'm looking for another pdf reader....any suggestions?

Comments (3)