Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
since the changes, my pages don't jump here

Posted by shaddy101 (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 11, 13 at 10:27

I have been experiencing the pages at GW jumping, and trying to read them was almost impossible, thought I had it solved once only to return. Have stayed away somewhat in the interim, and was pleasantly surprised today when decided to see what the gurus here were up to.
What a lovely looking site, much better than the previous one, and of course, to have the pages hold still to be able to read without trying to wrassle the mouse is just wonderful. Kudus to the management, finally sumpin good!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: since the changes, my pages don't jump here

It was a bit of a shock. I immediately checked other sites to see if it was just my PC. There seems to be more scrolling. Didn't the text used to go all the way over to both sides?

o

I like the new presentation. The other was getting drab. Nice job GW.

At 7:30 a.m. the text was justified in the middle producing a greeting card presentation. Right now, at least at the system I am at, it is justified left as it should be. Never saw any "jumping" as reported by S101.

DA

o

I have a 25" monitor, for a reason since I have visual problems, now with this new format I have a small center part of the screen being used and with in that the text is extremely small and I can barely read it.
they will have to do something to accommodate people with vision problems.
What a waste of my nice big monitor.

o

" I have a small center part of the screen being used and with in that the text is extremely small and I can barely read it. "

That's my situation as well. I'm hoping since they're on http://graphics.gardenweb.com/graphics/css/all-new4.css they're still tweaking it. So... I'll be patient and wait. :)

o

RC,

Never thought of that. I did zoom to 125% on this IE9 as a test on this 19 inch. There was great improvement as to visualization. The only open area now is to the right where the ads use to be.

DA

o

I'm probably overlooking it but I don't see what percentage I've zoomed in(using Firefox). Thanks for the idea, it does help a lot.

I also made the center area(main-frame) have a slightly darker background using Stylish. Too much white hurts my eyes. I'm happy with it for now.

o

chuggerguy, I have all of my pages a pastel color, usually a soft blue or an light orange color. Anything that is not so bright. The only thing I can't change is the first page on WLM. It's a very bright white.

o

Thank you Emma. I'm not very good with color, and often stick with silver or grey since they match anything. I have no clue about WLM, truthfully, I pretty much always use Linux. ^.^

o

I'm on my laptop, and what a shock when I opened the GW site. I thought I had done something wrong. Have to agree that I like it. Now to see what it looks like on my desktop monitor.

o

Yes I have had to of course use zoom feature for easier viewing but I suspect it is not formatted well for larger monitors. You really shouldn't have to be zooming on websites to comfortably view.

I don't mind the other changes. The starkness is something I can tweak, others may not be able to depending on browsers options.
On my tablets using Firefox for Android I am finding different sizes of fonts in different people's replies which is odd and I have no idea why that would happen. One person may have the normal size font and the next reply by someone else will be tiny, then someone else may be large. Odd.

o

I like the new "look", but would prefer a background other than white. It's hard on the eyes after reading for a while.

o

Probably to the Gardenweb coders disgust but...

Font size brought up to 18px, center section widened, backgrounds made to be easier on my eyes. I think it's a better fit for my 16x9 monitor without resorting to having to zoom.

Boring? Yes. More usable? For me it is.

Edit: This may show it as it really looks: http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/html/msg0122255220704.html?6

This post was edited by chuggerguy on Tue, Feb 12, 13 at 15:04

o

other firefox options
Color That Site! 0.15

In Firefox, go to Tools > Options > Content and click on Colors button.

Select grey for the "Background", and clear the checkboxes near "Allow pages to choose their own colours, instead of my selections above" and "Use system colours". Click ok

o

Whoa! After all of these years what a nice change... probably the first big change around here since the pay fiasco of about 10 years ago or so.

o

Thank you Raven, that took care of the bright white email page. That looked a lot like no squint, but it had more.

o

I finally found a benefit to my lazy, laid back surfing position.

I normally sit back from the monitor, slouched in the chair, and my feet up on the left side of the computer desk. Other than sometimes boring me sites like this with the white presentation don't bother me.

DA

o

My eyes have always been overly sensitive to bright lights, now with cataracts it's much worse. Colored backgrounds help a lot.

o

I like it for the most part. I am not crazy about the white page, but, it can be changed, however, that would change it for other places for me, and I prefer not to have to do that. I am also not thrilled with everything so centered. I am sure they will be tweaking it though, once all the comments are in, so they know which features they need to work on. I do like the design at the top.

This post was edited by cat_ky on Tue, Feb 19, 13 at 7:19

o

I don't like everything centered, wasted space, more scrolling.

o

For those that are not pleased the below was linked on the Computer Help homepage under What's New at Garden Web.

DA

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Web

o

Chuggerguy, how did you widen the center section?
My finger is getting sore from all the scrolling!!

o

I used the Firefox(probably available for Chrome too?) add-on called Stylish. https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/stylish/

I wrote this CSS(Cascading Style Sheet) to make it suit "me". CSS is what Gardenweb used to make it look their way. :)

I'm not a programmer, just a do-it-yourselfer so I'm quite certain my code is not optimal... but it works good enough for me.

If you want to try it, after installing Stylish, open a gardenweb.com page, select "Write new style -> For gardenweb.com", name it something like "Style Gardenweb" and paste this in, replacing what's already there. http://www.chuggerguy.com/pub/styleGardenweb.txt (Not the link, the text pointed to by the link)

The background image I use for the center zone is hosted by me so you may want to change that, just in case I tire of it and change it, my machine dies, I die, or whatever. :)

Of course you might just want to parse though it, take what you find useful, and leave the rest.

Edited to add the video(If you don't see it, your browser doesn't do HTML5). You can right click and select view full screen if it's too small to see. Turning on my personal styling makes... a wee bit of a difference.

This post was edited by chuggerguy on Sun, Feb 24, 13 at 1:52

o

Sorry, posted on wrong forum...meant to post on Readers Paradise.

Edited to remove

This post was edited by evenshade on Sun, Feb 24, 13 at 8:23

o

remove

This post was edited by evenshade on Sun, Feb 24, 13 at 8:25

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here