Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bypassing the login on the MS start page

Posted by gogwmos (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 12, 12 at 6:41

Every time I boot up the computer, it asks me for my password. It is only my home computer so there is no need to have to log in everytime.

Using a Dell and WINXP.

How can I bypass this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bypassing the login on the MS start page

The option to remove or change a password is available by going to the Control Panel and selecting User Accounts.

If you are the one and only user of this computer, I'm making a guess that you are talking about the administrator account and that you will always be using that account. Of course, that is your decision to make but by doing so there is a greater risk of damage to your computer should you ever be infected by a computer virus or other malware. You should consider creating a user account (which does not have the elevated privileges that an administrator does) and use that for your normal computer use.

If you choose to use only the administrator account, I suggest you become very familiar with the workings of your antivirus program and the available tools to combat malware (many of them are free) and how to use them and update them regularly. Sooner or later you will get attacked (if you haven't already) and fixing these problems is sometimes very difficult if the infected account has elevated admin privileges.

o

Go to Start
Control Panel
User Accounts
(probably) Owner or Administrator (maybe listed as both)
Remove my password and follow the steps.

That should do it.

Depending on what 'view' you have of your Control Panel (Classic view), there 'might be' an additional step to get to 'User Accounts'.

o

Don't know why I tried this, but when I just went to start up the computer I just hit enter instead of putting in a password and it bypassed the whole shebang.

Thanks so much!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here