Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Windows Vista Service Pack 2

Posted by Iesha (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 19, 13 at 6:20

I was able to restore my computer finally and now internet explorer is acting up and I think its because it wants me to update to internet explorer 8 and I cant because I don't have windows vista service pack 2 which it did before I restored it. But I have tried to do the update which fails and I have tried to go on microsoft download center and it still fails I have also downloaded the tool thats supposed to help it install but nothing is working I want to update my computer to windows 7 when I can afford it but I don't think I will be able to if this package isn't installed because I have tried windows 7 trials which haven't worked someone please help!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Windows Vista Service Pack 2

Did you download SP2 as a standalone or try updating your computer from the internet?

If you do not have SP2 you can download it from the MS download centre

When you restored the computer did you take it back to the original factory defaults or use an image you had created at some point?

If it is only IE playing up you could consider another browser like Firefox, Opera, Chrome or any of the others available free

o

Also,

System Update Readiness Tool for Windows Vista (KB947821) [November 2012]

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=504

Is that the tool you downloaded above?

We also need the exact error message you're getting.

Joe

o

On my vista computer I have SP2 along with IE 9 (not 8), btw.

o

I dimly recall something similar when I restored my vista computer prior to giving it away. The updates did not all sequence at once but I just kept trying to install whatever showed up when I called for updates. It took about three weeks in total, with more stuff showing up on weekends and quiet hours. Probably most of needed SP2 is already there in dribs and drabs.

o

owbist yes I downloaded SP2 as a standalone and I also tried to download it from MS download center but neither worked I get the same error everytime Error 80073712

o

Yes zep516 that is the System Update Readiness Tool for Windows Vista that I used and the Error Message is 80073712 thanks

o

Yes I took the computer back to factory settings and that is when it uninstalled the newest ie and I also think this is why the trial for windows 7 won't install

o

OK. You need to focus on getting windows up date working first before anything,

The next thing to try is running System file checker,

To run the System File Checker, complete these steps:

1. Click Start, and then type cmd in the Start Search box.

2. In the results area, right-click cmd.exe, and then click Run as administrator. You will be prompted to type the password for an administrator account. Click Continue if you are the administrator or type the administrator password. Then, click Continue.

3. At the command prompt, type Sfc /scannow, and then press ENTER.

o
hello

You need to have Service pack 1 installed first, before service pack 2, so might want to check that. Here's a link

Here is a link that might be useful: Learn-how-to-install-Windows-Vista-Service-Pack-2

o

Hi, Lesha.

If you are still having problems after following the instructions in the link zep516 provided, there are Windows Update experts at Sysnative.

Niemiro may not be around much this week but I believe Tom982 will be available. Instructions are in the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Windows Update Forum Posting Instructions

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here