Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
downloading videos

Posted by PaulSmth (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 8, 14 at 2:33

The software I have been using put in some changes that I will not deal with so I am looking for a replacement.

Anybody have a free or almost free software that you are using that is simple and doesn't require me to change browsers or things like that. If it supports downloads of you tube videos that would be great.

I am using firefox and thunderbird.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: downloading videos

I really can't recommend one. The only place I ever download streaming video from is Youtube, and not often at that. I linked the extension I use for that here but it only works on youtube.com.

What I would probably do is go into "Add-ons Manager" and search for something like "video downloader" and look though them for one that purports to work on the sites I intended to use it. I'd also look at the number of users as well as the rating, with the realization that nothing works for everyone.

Perhaps somebody else will come along and recommend one from personal experience, I'm sorry, I can not.

o

For youtube videos I use keepvid. Just copy and paste the link to the video in the box and click download to the right of the box then when the pop up appears click run and when the list comes up pick what format you want and right click that link and save to the desktop. Mary

Here is a link that might be useful: keepvid

o

I downloaded the Firefox add on and it works very nicely on you tube videos. That still leaves me with the problem of downloading non you tube videos.

I looked at the keepvid site and do not want to get involved with the other changes they are pushing. Even if I unclick the three boxes and continue.... I could not be confident that they would not be making other changes in the background.

o

Hmm I didn't have to unlock any 3 boxes, what is that? Have used it a few years now and it gives me no problem. I prefer to use IE so don't do firefox and add ons. A lot of times I have found videos that people post on facebook and stuff really come from youtube anyway. Mary

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here