Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
low reading HD

Posted by upnflyin (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 19, 11 at 0:08

I took another hard drive from an old computer that says its a 120 gig on its label but in my removable drive it only reads 31.4 and says its not formatted yet. I don't understand this.
upnflyin

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: low reading HD

You installed the HDD in the external drive enclosure right?
OK assuming this is XP connect the external drive to the computer
click Start
click My computer
click Computer management shortcut
in the new window on the left side you see Storage
click the plus sign beside Storage if there and a sub menu drops below
if no plus sign then look below and click Disk management
now on the right side all your drives should be listed
Whaddyasee?

Remember C: will be your main drive, D: probably/possibly your recovery partition so anything on the external drive should show as F: and beyond. You likely need to remove a partition and then reformat the whole external drive to get your entire 120 gigs back.

o
RE: low reading HD

Some hard drives had the option to limit the size, via a jumper, for older systems that couldn't handle larger drives. It's usually pins 5-6 but you probably want to check the manual.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here