Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Visited sites no longer change color

Posted by grandms (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 15, 13 at 23:17

Windows XP-SP3 using the latest Chrome browser. Tonight I notice that on this forum, titles of visited sites no longer change colors. I cannot find anything in the browser settings that addresses this. I have no idea what caused this change, but I would like to restore this ability in Chrome. Can someone please help? Thanks so very much.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Visited sites no longer change color

They don't in my Firefox either. I don't remember if they ever did or not.

Checking my other browsers:

• In IE8, they change.
  • In SRWare Iron Version 23.0.1300.0 (165188)they change.
  • In Opera 12.12 they change.

I really don't know. Clear history and restart the bowser maybe?

I think some of the white links at the top and bottom are styled to not change color and not be underlined.

The blue links have no style applied that I can see, so any change would come from the browser.

Just guessing.

o

Cookies keep track of that.. maybe you have a corrupt cookie cache.. Did you disable cookies in the browser ??? .. If you have CCleaner, let it clear all your cookies.

o

It does it with Firefox too, and just started it. I already cleared all cookies and started over, but, it didnt change it. My firefox hasnt changed, or been updated, so figure it is this site, since garden web is the only place it happens.

o

I had to reset mine in "no squint", a FF ad on that adjusts the fonts size and color and background colors.

o

I have History set to zero days so I suppose that's why they don't change in my Firefox.

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=614186

However, in my case, that works out fine since I don't like the color change anyway. Just a personal preference.

Oh, I see Firefox does have a way to change the colors though:

o

I checked FF last evening just after the latest version download, and it does change colors. In FF I can find the place to show if I want this to occur. It is in the Options menu. There used to be such a choice given in Chrome Settings, but I cannot find such a choice any more. I like the color change so that I know which threads have new posts and also so that I do not open those I have already read.

Hope someone who uses Chrome browser and had the color change set will respond here.

o

Maybe it was caused by the last Chrome update?

This seems to be pretty recent but I'm not sure if it's exactly the same problem: https://productforums.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!topic/chrome/4LDDURcs-B4[1-25-true]

o

Thanks, chuggerguy. This does seem to be the problem, and maybe it was caused by the latest update which just occurred yesterday. I hope this isn't a permanent thing or I'll have to give up my favorite browser. I had stopped using Opera a couple of years ago when I had the same problem. I do use FF for some things, so I may have to make it my default browser even though I don't like it as well as Chrome. Rats! Maybe I'll try Opera again.

o

Yeah, maybe the next update will fix it. I've got to admit, the Chromium browsers do seem fast and if I wasn't so... whatever, I'd likely prefer it. The couple little things about it that do bug me probably wouldn't bother a normal person but... :)

I have Iron instead of Google Chrome and the colors still change. Maybe it was Google hands that broke it? Not saying you should try Iron but if you're desperate to get the color change back, it seems to still work fine:

o

I just logged in with Chrome Version 24.0.1312.52, clicked a link and then the back arrow and my visited linked showed purple. Unread links in Chrome are blue. I am not a regular Chrome user, it's my backup browser.

What is your cookie setting? I found that under Settings/Advanced Settings/Content Settings(**my setting is allow local data to be set)/All Cookies and Site Data (**I removed all cookies). I do have javascript enabled, but disabled it, cleared all history and closed/reopened Chrome. Came back to this site and all my links were blue indicating 'unread' but after visiting a link and hitting the back arrow, it did turn purple, indicating 'read'.

o

My Chrome links are not changing color either and that's just happened within the last couple of days. I just checked and they do change color in FF. Makes me think it's connected to Chrome. I tend to get myself in trouble when I start trying to finagle things so I'll give it a little time and see what happens.

o

"For me, the first tab to open (on start-up) never changes the color of the visited link. Opening a second tab (with the same page as the first) and the color always works and also reports the visited links made on the first tab. Hopefully this will be fixed soon."

That's from http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!msg/chrome/unMU92Tg3Kw/9kBteDkF3dYJ.

I don't have Google Chrome so can't test but it sounds interesting.

This post was edited by chuggerguy on Mon, Jan 21, 13 at 23:26

o

Pam, my settings are the same as yours; HOWEVER, my version is 24.0.1312.52m. Note the "m" at the end, so I'm hoping the next update will correct this. If not, I may give Iron a whirl.

o

Grandms my version of Chrome is the same as yours and the colors change for me. I use it mainly as my backup browser and the settings are also the same.

o

Mine has the M at the end also. I missed it the original post. I have no extensions enabled. That could be something to look at.

o

My Chrome is Version 24.0.1312.52m and mine turns color after I go back.
Did they fix it?

o

No, it's still the same for me. I'll check which extensions I have enabled and see if one or more of those could be responsible.

o

I have had this problem every once in a while every since IE9 and so have my friends never had the problem before IE9 so don't know what to make of it. First time it happened I searched high and low for a solution and finally a friend figured it out. A forum we visit every one started having the problem once in a while so now we know what to do.

When it happens I have to go into IE and go to tools, internet options, click delete history and in there I have the first 4 things checked and I have to uncheck them then re-check them then hit delete and then when I go to my favorite forum read threads change color again and my browsing history saves again and other places I visit work again. I would say I have had to do this about every 6 months maybe a little less.

I don't use other browser so have no clue if the same applies to them but that's what we figured out to solve it in IE9. Every one on the this forum I visit tha has the problem is using IE9 with either vista or windows 7 so this is the first I have heard an XP user with the problem but what version of IE do you have? Mary

o

Since I have XP, I have IE8 but do not use it. XP cannot use a higher version. No, this is a browser related problem, and in both IE and FF, I can see how to set it since both have Tools and the drop down menu which includes Options for such things. I am sure that Chrome used to have a place to set colors also, but in the latest version, I cannot find such a choice. What seems so strange is that others who have the same version as I do, don't have this problem, yet there are many others who do. I have cleared cookies, history, etc. and no difference.

o

I don't know but like I said every so often I have the exact same problem and what I posted is the only fix that works for us when it happnes. I just figured it was an MS problem but maybe not. Mary

o

Well I have temporarily solved the problem by reverting to an older version of Chrome. I will leave the automatic updating turned on in hopes that the next update will fix this problem.

Now I keep getting reminded that some features may not work for me since my profile is not updated. Still, this is a version that was released on Jan. 7, so I'll be okay for now.

o
RE: Visited sites no longer change color--rats!

What do you know? While I was away from the computer, Chrome updated to version 25.0.1364 beta-m. Still no changing of colors on visited sites. So I turned off the automatic updating and reverted to the prior version, 24.0.1312.52m. I have no idea what the "m" stands for, unless it's for media center versions of Windows. I still have the install file for the older version which I just might go back to. I'll keep visiting the Chrome users' forum and see if they get this fixed soon.

o

It is only happening in chrome? I ask because the last time I had the problem I tried firefox and it was doing the same as IE I think and then when I did the IE fix seems to me firefox got working also but I could be remembering wrong.

When this happens does your browser stop saving the history of sites you visit? When ever the read threads won't change the browser stops saving the sites I viist too even though I have them set to save for 30 days then when I do the fix in IE that works again too. Mary

o

If you are having a problem with that in FF ad on "No Squint" and you can change it. That is what I did and it's holding.

o

I never use FF so have no ad on. Last time read threads wouldn't change I decided to try FF and see and it was doing the same then when I did the IE fix fire fox was fixed too. Mary

o

I thought I had explained that this is a problem only with Chrome, my default browser, and it only happened after the latest update.

I am now on my Windows 7 computer which had an older version of Chrome, and the links had changed color. But, guess what? It did an automatic update to version 24.0.1312.52m, and the visited links no longer change color. I guess that's the answer, and I surely hope Google soon corrects this.

o

Oh I see so must be on there end. Hope they fix it. Mary

o

Now something has happened that I cannot explain. I opened a new tab in Chrome and typed in the ths.gardenweb url and the visited threads are now in color. So I closed the original open tab and have my color back. Someone please explain this because it's a great mystery to me. But I am happy!

o

"Please explain this because it's a great mystery."

Mystery, problem, enigma, riddle, puzzle mean something which baffles or perplexes. Mystery applies to what cannot be fully understood by reason or less strictly to whatever resists or defies explanation.

:)

o

That sounds like this to me?

o

No longer working today. Go figure! Have no idea about this.

o

Google Employee Sie_Deen says at https://productforums.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!topic/chrome/4LDDURcs-B4[1-25-true] that an update to 24.0.1312.56 will fix it.

This post was edited by chuggerguy on Tue, Jan 22, 13 at 19:59

o

Thank you, chuggerguy. My version still shows the "m" at the end of the number but it did relaunch and the links have changed color (so far). :)

o

Thank you. Mine has now updated and the link colors have changed. Now let's hope it stays "fixed".

o

I suspect that now that they've fixed that bug, it will stay fixed?

Question is, what will the next bug be? (^.^)

o

Unfortunately, with the latest update of Chrome browser to 25.0.1364.97m the problem has returned. In case you don't recall, links that have been visited no longer change from blue to purple. I have already visited the forum that chuggerguy referred to and noticed that several people have reported the same. As great as this browser has been, it does seem that they could fix this bug permanently.

I also find that if I open the browser a second time and paste in the URL, the color changes, but once I close the browser and open it again, back to no change.

o

My Chrome started working about 5 hrs. ago. The visited websites are changing color and staying.

I have Version 25.0.1364.97 m

o

I spoke too soon. In the last ten minutes it went bad again. The visited sites are not changing color again. This is getting old. I thought they finally had it fixed.

o

Exactly what happened to me. Urrrgh!

o

I just updated Iron to test. It's now broken too. Not a biggie for me, I don't really use it. Still, I would have thought it would have been fixed for good by now.

o

I just checked my Chrome which is updated to the same version noted above and the visited links are changing for me. I closed down Chrome and reopened and the links are still changing color.

o

It is strange. Mine will work for a couple of hours and then it won't work. Most of the time it won't work and it isn't working now unless I open the same webpage twice. Then it works for all webpages. I am hoping for a new Chrome version soon.

o

That's what I have to do---open the webpage twice. I copy and paste the url to the second page and then the colors change, a pain in the b***.

o

I tried center-clicking refresh to open a duplicate in another tab. That didn't help.

I then tried clicking "New Tab" and pasting the URL in there. That worked.

So I ended up with two seemingly identical tabs that I could in theory duplicate my actions in each, and each would behave exactly the same. Except they don't. The second one highlights visited pages, the first does not. Interesting but useless to me.

I tried real(?) Chromium and it seems to be fixed again. For how long, who knows.

That's with version 27.0.1425.0 (184975) and comes from here. Caution, when you get to the "Win" directory, it's so full of old builds(and new) that it might load very slowly. At least it did for me in my virtual machine.

o

Google Chrome is now working with the new update.

Version 25.0.1364.152 m

o

I am also having problems in FF. I think it has to do with CCleaner. After I updated to a new version, everything was back to the same color. I reset it with no Squint and it is okay.

o

Hurray! My Chrome just updated and now it's working as it should. Now I hope they won't let this happen again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here