Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Search Enhancement Pack

Posted by marciaz3 (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 22, 09 at 21:25

I'm running Windows XP. Awhile ago, i downloaded MSN Messenger and even though i unclicked the toolbars and whatever else they wanted to include, now a folder called "Search Enhancement Pack" comes up every time i sign in. I can't get rid of it! Can anyone help?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Search Enhancement Pack

Can you open the folder and tell us what is in side it.

o

it appears it is part of the toolbar and installs no matter what you click or not click which has a lot of people complaining. This link tells how to stop the pop up.
Search Enhancement Pack

this explains what it actually is
Windows Live Wave 3 - what is Choice Guard and why does it exist?

o

I tried what they said to do in the first link but it didn't work. It says it's only for things that are actually installed! LOL As for what was in the folder, i deleted it all in an attempt to get rid of it, but now the empty window comes up. Aggravating.

o

try going into msconfig start menu and see if you have something called choice guard there if so disable it from startup. I think one of the other files it mentioned in that folder was seaport or something that had sea in it you could look for that also.

My question as to following the directions in the first link is are you certain you copied and pasted the command exactly as it is
msiexec /x (299CF645-48C7-4FA1-8BCD-5CE200CF180D)
it has to be exactly with the spaces etc often times when it does not work that is usually the problem.

o

Did you delete the folder, or just the contents in side? if not delete the folder, then empty the recycle bin, reboot.

o

Although I'm not an expert or anything, I found the product id in the registry and inserted the id I found instead of the one on that page.

My steps:

Open run and type in: regedit
Navitage to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
SOFTWARE
Microsoft
Search Enhancement Pack
Choice Guard

From there, you should see a key with the product ID

Copy that id into the command from that other page and put it in the run command window

msiexec /x (product ID)

It proceeded to show me choice guard uninstalling and now, I no longer have the window show up every time I log in - cheers~

o

excellent work! glad that you were able to get that done and thanks for posting how you did it so that others searching for this will find your method.

o

And it worked! Thank you so much!

o

I've got the same problem.

I followed the instructions but when it got down to the product key and I put that in the run box
I got a message something like this:
windows can't find file make sure you've typed it correctly and try again.
This is my product key (I think) it says product code
(8FFC5648-FAF8-43A3-BC8F-42BA1E275C4E)
and I put it just like that in the box.

Someone please help me get rid of this annoying start up!!

Thanks much!

o

alanis spacing and brackets (not parenthesis) must be exact when putting in a command this must be done exactly pay attention to the spaces and the brackets, put your key in place of the one in these brackets. Notice the space between c / and between x (bracket

msiexec /x (299CF645-48C7-4FA1-8BCD-5CE200CF180D)
and clicking OK.

ok for some reasons this stupid reply box is changing what I am typing you need to use brackets and it is showing up here as parenthesis but be sure the spacing is properly done. You can see the actual way it should be typed on the link I had provided in my earlier post.

o

ravencajun,
Did as you told me. I used paranthesis and checked the spaces. Then got a Windows Installer Box saying:
this installation pkg couldn't be opned. Verify pkg exists and then you can access it or contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid window installer pkg.

I'm at a loss to what to do now.

Thanks so much for your help on this!
alanis

o

no do NOT use parenthesis use brackets as it shows in my original link
Search Enhancement Pack

when I type a bracket in here it turns it into a parenthesis for some reason. You want the bracket that is the key to the right of the P and is the upper one on that key with the pointy thing in the center, on the keyboard LOL. Also be sure the spaces are there where they should be in the command.

o

Would you believe that Messenger updated itself and the Search Enhancement thing came back? So i've done this all again and hope that it gets rid of it once more.

I'm just shaking my head. LOL

o

Many thanks to "shortkid111". Your suggestion works properly! I can't believe that Microsoft does so dirty programs; fortunately there are people like you that can give a true support to everyone. Best regards. Piero.

o

I had one case like this and the Run commands didn't work, neither was I able to obtain a product ID from the regedit.
So i stopped SeaPort from cpl/services, uninstalled the Choice Guard (with a run command), than deleted the entire folder \program files\Microsoft.
Everything works so far ... even though there are a lot of records left in the registry about it. I'll remove them one day eventually. (yes , I know ... a bit of a cowboy style, but nothing else worked).

Here is a link that might be useful: G Guild - IT Support

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here