SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
luis_pr

Snidely, regarding your thethering comment

luis_pr
11 years ago

On a recent post, snidely said in another post:

"Most smart phones can operate as a mobile hotspot. Also called "tethering". The advantage with this is that there's nothing additional to buy and (at least with some carriers) no contract is necessary. You can turn it off and on as you wish, and apply usage to the phone plan you already have. The disadvantage is if you're not plugged in, the steady stream of cell data and wifi usage will eat through your battery life. I don't know if a tethered connection can be encrypted. It's convenient for occasional use, with my carrier, it's $ 20 per month prorated for the days it's turned on, so it's like 70 cents per day."

Can you elaborate some more on this thethering and how it is billed? My mother resides in an assisted living facility and currently has a regular cell phone and no Internet access. Is this thethering something she could use to access the Internet. Note she has no smartphone, just a regular flip phone. The place has no way to get her Internet, at least at this time. I doubt she would use it a lot surfing and emailing; if she can get it to work & assuming the same cost by her carrier, would the amount of usage be 70cents per day regardless of how much she uses? TIA, Luis

Comments (3)