Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help uninstalling McAfee and installing Avast

Posted by lynnalexandra (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 24, 09 at 21:09

I'd welcome help from anybody. I've searched past threads (including ones I'd started) and see some instructions, but they were over my head. I vaguely know that I have to download (but not install Avast first). Then go to add/remove programs to remove McAfee. But then there are further steps to remove McAfee from all it's little hiding places in the computer. I think there's a McAfee removal program - or something - but I don't know if that does everything - or if it still leaves things that I have to manually remove. (and is there a link to the removal tool?).

I also don't remember if I need to disconnect my internet at any point in this proces? And if so, am I just unplugging from the router?

I will also need to do this on 3 computers - my desktop, my daughter's desktop and my ancient laptop in my office. So it might take me some time to do them all. I hope to start tomorrow on my desktop.

Also, any links for these programs - including current Avast version would be great.

Thanks.
Lynn.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help uninstalling McAfee and installing Avast

o

And since you're behind a router you should be safe uninstalling McAfee and then installing Avast without disconnecting from the internet but if you have a touch of paranoia it's easy to disconnect before doing so.

o

Bob - thank you. I don't have a touch of paranoia - but I do have a big dose of I don't want to do anything more complicated than I have to, so I'll be happy to leave my internet connections and cables in place.

I do still have a question about the McAfee removal tool. Will it remove everything? And if I still remove from add/remove programs, and use the removal tool, is that all I have to do? For some reason, I thought I remembered more steps in terms of going in and removing it from the deep recesses of my computer.

Lynn.

o

I wrote up exactly how I uninstalled my McAfee somewhere here.
Go to task scheduler and delete all McAfee tasks such as your scan tasks. Start>all programs>administrative tools
Then reboot after each step of this process!!!
I had to go to misconfig and turn off McAfee there first because no matter how I tried to turn it off it kept saying something was still being used so I disabled all in msconfig,REBOOT, then go to add remove and remove them in order with the security center part last, REBOOT. Then get the McAfee removal tool and use it
these are the directions from the McAfee forum
1. Uninstall all McAfee programs through "Add or Remove Programs" in Windows "Control Panel".reboot

2. Use the MCPR tool, see this article: How to remove supported McAfee consumer products using the McAfee Consumer Products Removal tool (MCPR.exe). This will remove all McAfee remnants from your computer. (you must have Windows Vista, XP or 2000 SP4 to use this tool) reboot

3. Launch Windows Explorer and delete all McAfee files in "Program Files" but especially in "C:\Document and Settings\\Application Data" and "C:\Document and Settings\All Users\Application Data". You have to set Windows Explorer to show all hidden files and folders (Tools > Folder Options > View tab). Just delete the McAfee folders even if they are empty in all the "Application Data" folders. Can be more than one!
In Vista: C:\Program Files, C:\ProgramData and C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming reboot
Download and run MCPR.exe

o
ReeE: Need help uninstalling McAfee and installing Avast

Avast link
FREE antivirus software - avast!
Adobe Acrobat (PDF) Document
Adobe Acrobat (PDF) Document

Register here
avast! antivirus Home Edition is FREE to use but it is necessary to register before the end of the initial 60 day trial period. Following the registration you will receive by e-mail a license key valid for a period of 1 year. After you have downloaded and installed the program, the license key must be inserted into it within 60 days. The registration process is very easy, and it will take you only a couple of minute
You will need to register each copy.

How to insert activation key

I do not use the green download button that goes to cnet I go on down and click on the first dark download button that says English avast 4 home that is directly from the site and will pop up the download immediately.

a good tutorial is here
How to Install, Configure, and Use Avast Antivirus

if you choose to set up the Avast screen saver scanner which I really like, that way it will be scanning your pc every time the screen saver comes on, I just scan that way and don't schedule any scans. the directions for how to do that are in the pdf file I posted above in user guide.

o

A few years ago, I had a failed uninstall of McAfee. The problem was that the new version would not install because it detected fragments of the old program. I contacted McAfee by email and they sent me instructions for cleaing the registry of all McAfee entries (and there was a big bunch of those). If you go this route, backup the registry before editing it.

I hesitate to send you my instruction set because it may no longer apply. Software does get rewritten over the years and my information is several versions old.

o

I was about to attempt this this morning - but as I look closer at the instructions, I realize that I'm unclear about what some of it means. Ravencajun- sorry for the naive questions, but these are what I dont' understand?

I'm not sure how to go to misconfig - what are the steps to get to the right screen - and disable

Will I know what the security center part is when I see it?

I don't know what "launch Windows Explorer" is. I know this is as basic as it gets, but I'm not sure what it means.

Thanks.
Lynn.

PS - about how much time should I allow for the complete changeover in one computer.

o
further questions

I thought I'd take a look around. I went to Start.all programs.administrative tools - but couldn't find task scheduler there. Help - how do I find this.

Thanks.
Lynn.

o

windows explorer> right click on start button select explore

Start> run> type in msconfig> go to start tab> look for any items associated with McAfee they should have part of the name in them, disable them. reboot, when your pc starts up it will pop up a box alerting you changes have been made to the start menu simply click the box that says do not show this again and go on with it.

for scheduled task in task manager go to start> control panel> scheduled task> there look for any related to McAfee such as weekly scan schedule, delete them.

Also Lynn in the systray below the clock at the McAfee icon go through those and if you can find disable or turn off do that there also.

o

I did it. Thanks everyone. I successfully removed McAfee from my computer and installed Avast (and set it up to scan once/week at 4am on Wed - a thorough scan).

Now I have to do it on my daughter's computer and my laptop at work. At least now I know how.

Thanks again.
Lynn.

o

I'm not sure I understand everything that has transpired in the discussion above.

My computer person, aka The Spouse, (She does the buying and paying and maintaining but does not use my computer.) - anyway - The Spouse was doing taxes and noticed that McAfee had billed the credit card but I was not using the service.

So she just went to uninstall or some such and it appears to have disappeared in a couple of seconds.

What might be still lurking around that uninstall did not remove?

o

albert-
If your wife used Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel, it has removed most, but not all, of McAfee. (If she did something else, like only deleted the shortcut for McAfee, it's still there). You can go to the link posted above for the McAfee Uninstaller, download it, and run it to remove everything. I believe it works even if you have already done a partial removal, but not sure. At any rate it won't screw anything up to try it.

Also, I've never seen McAfee automatically bill for a subsciption renewal without your consent. I suspect one of you clicked on a button somewhere - like in an email to you from McAfee, or in an update notice as the program approached the anniversary date - and that you agreed to renew your subscription, and probably had to enter your credit card info for the subscription.

Lastly, reassure me that you are running some other kind of antivirus software on your computer.

o

albert I promise you unless she followed the steps I outlined above in steps 1,2,3 a LOT of McAfee is still on your pc and can and often does cause conflicts with what ever new antivirus program is next installed, which is why it is so important to be sure all of the bits and pieces are gone.

What antivirus program did you install on the pc when you removed McAfee and is it running properly?

o

I too had problems getting rid of McAfee and managed it with the help of this forum quite some time ago.

Now I just wanted to mention to you to make sure you ask McAfee to cancel your subscription contract because my payment was being taken automatically and the bank couldn't just stop the payments, I've got to cancel the contract with McAfee myself so check yours out too. Otherwise you won't notice and they'll keep taking the payment.

o

Albert - having just done this - and followed Ravencajun's directions to a tee (?) - I second her warning that you must remove it from all the places she outlined.

I removed it from three computers - and some had it in scheduled tasks, some in msconfig, all had it in add/remove programs, all had something removed by the McAfee removal tool, and 2 of the 3 still had some remaining when I checked through windows explorer. Do follow all those steps - or have your spouse do it.

Good point about the payment. In my case, it was free with AOL - and I never paid McAfee.

o

Thanks all, The Spouse had done all the removal of McAfee and installed Avast when I was not around and failed to tell me.

She said she is having trouble with the billing. McAfee emailed here that they were billing and she responded, don't I have removed your product and they billed anyway and so far she cannot get her money refunded.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here