Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Windows 8

Posted by sanantoniorose (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 23, 13 at 20:51

OMGosh! I'm back! I haven't been here for almost 2 years - and this was one of my favorite forums. I gave up on GW. Had computer problems on two different computers.

Anyway, I bought a new one a week or so ago (number 3), an HP that's preloaded with Windows 8 and I would love a couple of tips on getting used to it, (the program, not the computer)

The most annoying thing I'd like to change is:

1. The blipping pop-ups on the right sliding side of the screen and worst of all......the GIANT black box with the time and date on the lower left! I don't want to see a black box that takes up 1/4 of the screen! Good grief! The menu slide screen on the right is tolerable but I'd be just as happy without it. My old computer didn't have a number pad so I keep accidentally moving over to the 'right button' on the keypad and bam! There it is again.

2. Can I reduce the size of the (navigation bar)? The one on the bottom. You can get the sizing vertical arrows but they don't change anything. Grrrr.

3. I've used it about 2 weeks now and am doing OK with it but still prefer Windows 7 but I'll keep trying. One more thing...Do I really need "Data Disk"? I must have downloaded it but again, a giant 2" icon on the lower right side of the screen that I can't seem to drag away or even onto the toolbar.

Anybody? Thanks,
~Ruth

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Windows 8

• Posted by mikie z9 St.Pete.FL (My Page) on
    Wed, Jan 23, 13 at 21:40

Guess this is a laptop?
Some touch pads have extended swipe features that you can disable .. might look around in your Synaptics ? setting or other touch pad settings.

Or you can teach your finger to try to stay away from the right side of touch pad and sliding left.. which is probably what you are doing that opens that Charms bar and clock at same time. I have that problem too.. aggravating grrrr.

Bottom taskbar you can skinny it down by right clicking and choosing properties ... there you will then see a checkbox to use smaller taskbar buttons.\

Not quite sure what your DataDisk is .... but usually that name is used as a DVD burn program folder that you assemble a bunch of stuff into before telling it to burn to dvd.

Here is a link that might be useful: Charms Bar; search, share links and photos, connect devices, and change settings

This post was edited by mikie on Wed, Jan 23, 13 at 22:38

o

go through some of the sites from this link, should find something helpful.

Here is a link that might be useful: links

o

Ravencajun, you have come through for me once again!!!
I am not upgrading to Windows 8. Headaches, I do not need.
Thank you so much for the link. That did it for me!!!

o

Found this on looking for information on W8 - looks like if I buy a new Laptop I'll end up with W8 (still looking for a good buy on a W7 machine).

It appears RetroUI Pro offers the best of both worlds W7/W8. This thread ends without even a mention, of course I learned about it looking at one of the links provided by ravencajun
. I haven't yet look for threads on RetroUI - i.e., what it costs..

o

Jerry you might consider the free ClassicShell. Sourceforge is a very reputable site to download from.

Over 1300 thumbs up to a mere 71 thumbs done, can't be bad one assumes.

Bleepingcomputer has a tutorial on how to add a start menu to Win8 using ClassicShell.

I think might create a Restore Point or better do an image before installing so you could easily fall back to the original if you were unhappy with ClassicShell.

o

I downloaded and use Classic Shell on my Windows 7 computer to make the Start menu more like my XP. Fewer steps to shutting down.

o

Thanks, I think the demand of the few W7 new laptops is holding the price up.

Back to my post on the BJs offer for a 17.3" Toshiba I see it is also available on the web, Toshiba and Amazon for the same price of $399, yes with Windows 8.

I stopped by Walmart tonight as saw for $50 less a new Toshiba C855D-S5320 for $348, It is the more normal size 15.6" but has a larger HDD at 500 GB. I also found it on Amazon for the same price... and no sales tax. The truth is I settle up with NJ on my State Income Tax and pay the listed amount, so I pay the same regardless of how much I really spend on tax free (not collected) items. It has some mixed reviews with the keyboard and touch screen not rated high. But all agree you get a lot for your money. I believe the touch pad has some adjustments at the driver level which may not have been utilized.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here