Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
running malwarebytes scan while online

Posted by salbwil (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 11, 10 at 20:27

Will this create a problem ? The scan takes quite a while and I only have so much time before "lights out". Can one work online while doing this full scan ?
Thanks,
salbwil

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: running malwarebytes scan while online

I don't think it could hurt, although it may slow everything down.

o

No it won't be a prob. however you do not need to run deep or full scan each time, quick scan once a week is recommended, takes a few mins only.

o

I'll run a scan now and see what slow down occurs.

o

I don't see any slow down !

o

salbwil-
My full Malwarebytes scan takes about an hour. Why don't you just start it running as the last thing you do at night, and check the results in the morning? You don't have to sit there while it runs...

o

My last scan on the 11th took well over an hour, but found no problems. I'm wondering why it's taking so long to complete....maybe photos and itunes ?
salbwil

o

Malwarebytes does a deep scan and takes a while the more files on the computer the longer the scan.

o

For me with something as important as a scan I do the full one and do not use my computer. Just makes sense to me, I can do other stuff for an hour or so to ensure I have taken every precaution needed. My scans are about every 2 weeks unless I have been to places where I might gather unwanted baggage, then I do a scan as soon as I have finished surfing.

o

Operationally to use MB while surfing should not be a problem. However, isn't it a little counter productive to do so as we know that MB does not scan in real time?

My thought is the potential is present to have a 'new" bug without warning or detection embed itself in an area of the H/D after it has already been scanned. The critter would not be detected until the next scan and thus in truth a user would not know for 100% certainty that the drive was clean.

DA

o

salbwil-
When Malwarebytes checks my computer, the full scan examines about 200,000 items in an hour, which I consider to be pretty speedy. Just let it run when you are not using the computer, and don't worry about how long it takes. I want my computer squeaky clean, and even if it took several hours to do that, fine.

o

I always make sure MB is updated before a scan and I do a full scan with my pc offline. I keep my pc offline when not in use. File - work offline.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here