Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Virus, Malware?

Posted by mike_kaiser (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 26, 14 at 18:16

A couple of days ago a friend, who is an older woman with very limited computer skills, get a call from someone saying her computer had been "hacked." They had her look at some stuff (what she isn't at all clear about) but it said she had 2400ish "problems". She told them she didn't have time to address the issues and hung up.

So I go over there and run Kaspersky and it comes back with nothing. In Windows Microsoft Defender said there was no AV protection but MSE is installed. I uninstalled MSE and downloaded a fresh copy and reinstalled. A quick scan revealed nothing either.

She uses this computer for email and her husband plays Solitaire. NO financial stuff at all.

Is there something else I should scan it with just to be on the safe side?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Virus, Malware?

get a call from someone saying her computer had been "hacked." They had her look at some stuff (what she isn't at all clear about) but it said she had 2400ish "problems". She told them she didn't have time to address the issues and hung up.

That's a scam call, did they actually access the computer remotely? If they didn't I would not worry about anything.

o

I thought all of us got those calls every once in a while :~)

They prey on gullible or nervous people sadly, your friend was very wise to just hang up. They'll call again - and again I am sure.

Strangely my SIL said today that she had such a call at 8 a.m. so they are extending their hours to accommodate us it seems.

o

The few calls I've gotten like this were from India.

Depending on your time zone, 8 am is afternoon time over there and the caller may have been just starting work. As with legit call centers, the work hours for those interfacing with North America run though the night.

o

I received one of those calls. While he as going through his lingo, I kept telling him that I knew it was a scam. Finally he laughed and admitted it... :)

o

I have an XP and while using a trial version of Kaspersky plus MSE - I continued to get adware/spyware. Neither protected against that kind of intrusion.

o

And they are not designed to protect from that sort of stuff. In fact, there is nothing that I can think of that is going to protect you from scam phone calls. Just use your good sense and hang up.

o

Only scammers ring your phone.. just hang up!

o

I've gotten several of these. Pretty amazing. Even when I tell them I don't have any Microsoft products and what they've represented is quite impossible, they persist. When I call them liars and scammers and criminals, and ask them how to say @#$!% in Hindi, they just keep on going. Thoroughly entertaining.

o

My 85yr old Mom received that call and she has never owned a computer so hung up. I received it twice and messed with their head to have some fun and then they hung up on me. Mary!

o

I finally got my call today! I was feeling left out. Man with thick accent said he had information about my computer. I could hear kids in the background. I was in the middle of starting dinner or I think I would have "played along" for a few minutes before hanging up. Instead, I just hung up, which is the best thing anyway.

o

its just a scam.. just to be sure use malwarebytes antimalware

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here