SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynnalexandra

How to get Flip Videos burned to DVD?

lynnalexandra
13 years ago

I thought I was doing a simple project for my daughter. Her best friend is leaving the country in a couple of days. We wanted to burn a DVD of the various videos they made of themselves on my daughter's Flip Video. Simple idea but I've struggled for a long time.

This is what I've figured out so far. The Flip videos are in .avi format. As far as I can tell, Flip Share software doesn't offer a way to burn it to DVD - or convert it - at least not that I could figure out. I tried using my VideoRedo to convert - but that program doesn't handle .avi files. I have Roxio Creator DE that came with my computer - but I don't think it converts either. I'm hoping to get a DVD that they can play on a DVD player - or in their computer. I have no idea what type of device they will have for playback once they get to Korea.

I have a Videora Converter program that will convert the .avi files to a format to view on an ipod touch (which this girl has) - but there's no time to get the files on to her ipod touch (they're packed up and ready to go). I though about putting them on a flash drive - but I don't know that this 11 yo girl (or her untechy parents) will be able to get it from the flash drive to the ipod touch.

So I think that leaves 2 approaches. So far I have been unable to burn the current .avi video files to dvd (but I didn't complete the last step with Roxio creator bc. it will take a long, long time - and if it's not going to work, I don't want to use up the rest of the time). I'm not sure Roxio Creator will burn .avi format - and I'm not sure the girl will be able to do anything with .avi format. Possibly play it on a computer? but I'm not sure.

One approach is to figure out what convertor to use to get the videos in a format I can burn to DVD - that they can play to DVD. I'm thinking of Avi2dvd. I never heard of it before a few minutes ago when I saw it on Lifehacker.

Or maybe there's another way. If I convert files for ipod touch (is that mpg4? or mpeg2?), can I burn it in that format to a DVD? Would that DVD be playable on a DVD player? Or a computer?

Any thoughts on how to best get these in usable format to my daughter's bff would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Lynn.

Comments (12)