Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Replacing wireless router

Posted by kathieo (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 31, 13 at 18:05

Due to some issues, Belkin has sent me a new router. I'm not that familiar with installation as my son did my first job. Since he is not local anymore, I must do this myself. So my questions....do I have to shut down all components....computer, wireless printer, cable modem and router. In any particular order? How about turning them back on? Can I gEt help on this forum setting up my network again. Do I use all the same setting I had previously?Any other words of advice? should I attempt this myself or get a professional to do it?

thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Replacing wireless router

they should have sent you instructions and even software to help with the setup. You should be able to do it. Most now with the software just follow the steps. You can use the same settings if they are secure, a unique ssid name and extremely hard passcode.
You can certainty come ask for help and be sure you call Belkin support should you need it.

o

I'd probably shut everything down, connect the new router, and turn things back on. Don't worry about order...you're not going to break or mess anything up permanently regardless of what you turn on when. This is not a job that should need a professional. In fact, you may be surprised how easy it is. Between the instructions, Belkin tech support, and this forum, you shouldn't have to waste money on having a tech do this for you.

o

Since your son did the first setup, I'd think he'd be your best choice to assist you from afar, if he's available for a phone communication.

He'd at least have a running chance to remember what he did that (ultimately) met your specific requirements. Anyone else could only guess.

o

Hi,

Belkin has a great support site and instructions.

Easy to set up, easy to use.

Get Set Up in 5 Easy Steps!

1. Disconnect modem power supply.

2. Plug router into modem.

3. Plug in modem power supply.

4. Plug in router power supply.

5. Insert start up disk for quick on-screen setup.

Preset Security

Belkin routers come preconfigured with wireless security encryption to get you up and running safely from the start.

Ready, Set, Surf

Better than ever to confirm when your wireless network is ready to use. Once you’re set up, your network status appears right on your computer screen where you can see it no more checking lights under your desk. From there, all you have to do is surf.

If you need help, our world-class Customer Care team is available 24/7 to answer your questions.

Joe

Here is a link that might be useful: easy-setup

This post was edited by zep516 on Fri, Feb 1, 13 at 1:01

o

Thank you all...I'm going to try it tomorrow. One more question. My set up is in an open cabinet system. My son recommended the router and modem be at the very top of the cabinet. This has always been a problem for me when I have to unplug and reset either the modem or router. Since I am unplugging the equipment anyway I think moving it down one shelf would be better. The wires would not be so tight. And it would be easier to reach...no ladders,etc! So...does the router have to be at the highest point in the room or can it be lower and on an open shelf more within reach. Hiding all the wires was important to me at the time so all the wires are behind the three unit cabinets. Since I seem to have frequent issues I can't worry about that anymore!
So I guess the new router won't recognize the settings on the computer? I have to do a new setup as if this is the first time?
Sounds easy enough....wish me luck.....

Thanks again.

o

well it is the first time for this particular router.

The reason he had you put up high is so that it would have more clear reach for spreading your wifi signal through out the house. You can certainly try it lower and see if the signal strength is adequate. But it is best to keep it away from other wireless devices including phones which can sometimes interfere with the signals. Try it and if you have problems then try another location till you find one that works well. Also the router can be set on different channels which can help with interference from wireless devices and also neighbors wifi, so you can try a few different channels in the router.
Be sure you write down the ssid and pass code and pertinent info on a card and tape it to the router so you always know where to find that info it is something you don't want to lose.

o

Kathieo-
The router will probably work fine wherever you want to locate it. I have my Belkin router in a closet and it connects to a computer in the same room, a Roku box on a different floor, a laptop in a studio that's not connected to the main house, and even to a laptop that I take with me to my greenhouse 200 feet away. Unless you have it installed in a lead-lined safe, it should be happy being on the top shelf, the bottom shelf, or hanging from the chandelier.

o

I agree with Raven's suggestions. Uses like streaming video require a strong and consistent signal. Web surfing is more sporadic and is more forgiving of a weak connection. Those with wireless landline phones should avoid buying ones that use the 2.4 GHz frequency.

The usual wifi router placement suggestions are high - because more obstructions in a house are low and central - because wifi signals aren't that strong and will only go through a few walls before the strength falls off a lot.

Other local obstacles - masonry or plaster walls, fridges, water heaters, too many walls, can require trying different placements or other solutions. In this case, presuming the predecessor worked fine, it should be ok.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here