SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bus_driver

Modem

bus_driver
11 years ago

I regret that I am unable to help provide answers, but I know too little about computers. So I only have questions.
Recent upgrade to nominal 1.5 Mbps Dsl internet service. Using their recommended speed indicator at my computer shows 1.31 (87% of nominal speed) for download and 0.19 for upload. My modem is DrayTek Vigor 2500, about 6 years old. Bought it from the ISP when I first got DSL. They delivered and set it up at that time. Tech support says that a different modem might up my speed a little. They also say that this modem probably will not work with the next tier service which is nominally 3.0 Mbps. They sell a modem in their stores, but will not identify it over the phone, make and model. They also say the ones they sell are "mostly preprogrammed" for this internet provider and that modems from other sources may be more difficult to setup. They say that their tech support will not help with that.
So is all this really the truth? If I buy a new modem, is there some problem to be able to use it? Will it work out of the box?

Comments (3)