Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Getting rid of all traces of old programs

Posted by goldy (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 29, 12 at 17:15

There used to be a program that got rid of old traces of unwanted programs.I'm trying to delete all traces of weather bug.It has fouled up my computer.If nothing works I guess I'll have to go to Walmart and buy another.There is this blue donut that continues to go around and it's driving me crazy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Getting rid of all traces of old programs

This post is so full of downsides its hard to know where to begin. Get someone to look at the machine help you to fix it. Find out what went wrong and how to avoid a problem like this in the future because if you don't, I can guarantee you will have the same problems again no matter how many new ones you buy from Walmart.

o

To fix it I guess will cost and arm and a leg .I will take your advice and call someone tomorrow.Thanks

o

You might try ccleaner. You can download it from from file hippo at this link. First click on the tools icon on the left side and see if weatherbug is in the list of programs to uninstall. If it is uninstall it. If not click on the startup icon. Look down the list and if you see anything connected to weatherbug uncheck it. Then click on the cleaner button and then the run cleaner button. Let it remove anything it finds. If you still have the problem then start ccleaner again and click on the registry button the left and then the check for issues button. At all points in this process when ccleaner offers to backup the registry allow it to do so.

o

Here's another program to run,

Clean out your temporary internet files and temp files.

Download TFC by OldTimer click Here to your desktop. Click the Save file tab, save it to the desktop. Then double click it to run it.

Double-clickTFC.exe to run it.

Note: If you are running on Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator

TFC will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin

* Click the Start button to begin the cleaning process.
* Depending on how often you clean temp files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two.
* Please let TFC run uninterrupted until it is finished.

Once TFC is finished it should restart your computer. If it does not, please manually restart the computer yourself to ensure a complete cleaning.

o

It may be the program you are thinking of is Revo Uninstall. It will uninstall any program in your Programs file and clean out any leftover remnants of that program.

Here is a link that might be useful: Revo Uninstall

o

I posted detailed instructions on your other post have you done that? It is best to have all this on one thread so there is no confusion.

Removing weatherbug should not be terribly difficult, and definitely not worth replacing the pc, I would update malwarebytes and run a full scan, I suspect other malware may be your problem.
If you need the link ask us.

Revo uninstaller free is probably what you were thinking of.

o

Well my problem is solved. No more blue donut no more weatherbug.Not sure which one helped but I used ccleaner and revo.Turned off the computer watched two shows of 'law and Order'' turn the computer back on and everything is fixed.Thank God and thank you people and I'm so glad Of this website you are my family.

o

Everything gone? Just for kicks, now do a Start - Search using "weather bug" or just "weather" (no quotes) to see if there are still files that were not removed.

o

It's Back

o

At pcshell.com there are attempts at removing it. Perhaps that will work for you. If registry editing is uncomfortable, suggest asking one of the gurus here at the forum when you get to that point.

http://www.pchell.com/support/weatherbug.shtml

o

I already posted the pchell directions on her other post along with the direct instructions from weather bug on how to remove it.That is why having multiple threads on the same subject is so time consuming for all of us.

Download malwarebytes update it and run the full scan.
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (Win) - Detecting and Removing Malware

I suspect you have something other than just weather bug going on. Never ever agree to or buy any product that pops up telling you it will fix your problem those are very dangerous rogues which will cause major problems for you and your pc.

Do that malwarebytes updated scan let it clean what it finds follow the instructions, come back and let us know what was found.

Tell us which version of windows you are using and also which antivirus program you have on your pc.

o
RE: G etting rid of all traces of old programs

links to the various other thread on this

Blue donut?

weather Bug

o

Sorry if I have cause you so much time .I did not mean to.I went to Norton and they have a trouble shooter .I did what they asked and the blue donut is gone .I hope for ever.Sorry about your time .If I have another problem I will try and bundle it and keep everything together as you suggest.

o

We don't mind taking the time to help but we offered several solutions but you never told us what you did what you tried or gave back info, that makes it very difficult to know how to proceed. I for example gave several methods for removal I have no idea if you tried them, also asked you to run malwarebytes , because since you mentioned a pop up wanting to sell you something, and you mentioned trying something.

I still truly urge you to do that scan.
And it would help to know what AntiVirus you use.

o

I am using Nortons.I ran the program you sugested .waiting for the results.so far donut is still dancing.

o

did you run malwarebytes ? what was the result?

o

Yes I downloaded malwarebytes .The blue object is still there.Do you think I have a virus?Do you think if I download weatherbug and than remove it that I might get some resultes?Really needyour help.I'm not computor savy I guess you know this by now.I'm 82 and I'm really trying .

o

Try an follow these instructions please,

Click Here to download HJTInstall.exe Use version 2.0.4 Click executable, save file to desktop.
Save HJTInstall.exe to your desktop.
Doubleclick on the HJTInstall.exe icon on your desktop. Right click the Hijackthis Icon and Run as Adminstrator if you use Vista or Windows 7
By default it will install to C:\Program Files\Trend Click on Install.
It will create a HijackThis icon on the desktop.
Once installed, it will launch Hijackthis.
Click on the Do a system scan and save a logfile button. It will scan and the log should open in notepad.
Click on "Edit > Select All" then click on "Edit > Copy" and Paste the entire contents of the log into your next post.
DO NOT use the AnalyzeThis button, its findings are dangerous if misinterpreted.
DO NOT have Hijackthis fix anything yet. Most of what HJT lists will be harmless or even required by your Operating System.

o

Have you let the activity indicator, you call it donut, try to run its course just to see if it finishes, and see what your system then does?

DA

o
RE: Getting rid of all traces of programs

Unless I missed it I don't see what browser you are using. If it is Firefox check to see what add-ons you have.

DA

o

What I might do... If that dancing blue donut is on the bottom right of your screen, in the group of icons next to the clock ?

If so... Then it maybe easiest to reinstall the same weatherbug program.
Then make sure you right click & exit the weatherbug & I guess that dancing blue donut icons by the clock .. before using RevoUninstaller in its most advanced mode to remove the WeatherBug program, as well as any ASK.co programs that may also be installed.
ASK.com is somehow associated with WeatherBug & their products are very much intrusive & very hard to completely be rid of.

o

The "blue" censer in not down in the corner It follows the pointer wherever it goes.I went to google and bing and I'm not the only one with this problem.It seems no one has an answer.It;s like the "energizer" bunny it keeps going and going.Something We got to live with until someone comes up with a solution.

o

Goldy, I recall something like this happening a year or two ago, and it had to do with windows media player. I actually, never heard of an answer that worked for it, but some people used system restore to get rid of it. I notice that you have not tried that yet, and it just might put everything back to normal for you. You would need to use a date that is BEFORE the download, and problem started. Good Luck to you. :-)Cat

o

the blue donut she is talking about is the orb that appears as the hourglass used to.

o

Yep, was the same thing a couple years ago with media player and had people all worked up over it. I kinda doubt it started from weatherbug, although, anything is possible.

o

Perhaps right click the task bar & select TaskManager.
Processes tab.. Show from all users check box down on the bottom left.

Click the menu item for cpu a time or two to bright the most used cpu process to the top.. maybe you can determine whats running that loading donut by bringing up to the top cpu usage.. or maybe memory usage.

Restore point back in time might work too. Depends.

If all else fails.. email me. I come fix it, maybe.

o

I have weather bug and so far have never had problems with my computer. But I do run super spyware and malwarebytes regularly and do watch what I down load etc. The people here have been very helpful,

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here