Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New Printer

Posted by oceanbaby (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 10, 11 at 16:59

Want to buy a new printer - currently have HP Officejet J4680 for about a year and not happy at all. All I want is a simple, easy to operate printer that just prints - don't want to fax, don't want to scan. Checked out Dell on line -poor reviews. Only print about 20 copies a month, if that. Also would love a real manual to refer to but I guess I'm out of luck. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New Printer

What about the old printer don't you like?

Are you looking for a color or monochrome printer?

o

if you want to just print maybe you would prefer a laser printer they have come down in price considerably have you looked around online at any of those?

I happen to like HP printers that is what I currently have and have had in the past they have very good online chat tech support free. My HP printers all came with a book with them that is full user manual. You can also usually find the pdf manual online at HP which you could print.

o

I have seen several basic HP printers offered from $29.00 to $49. You more than likely would have to purchase a usb cable if you don't have one, but many brands/models require you to do so.

At 20 copies a month I could envision by the time the ink cartridges need to be replaced it would be cheaper to buy a new printer.

Example: The HP 1000 is $29.00 while the combo ink pack is $31.50.

The link below shows several HPs along with a couple other brands.

Here is a link that might be useful: Walmart

o

My worry, if you are printing very little, is the ink cartridges drying up. I would consider a basic laser B & W printer as suggested by RC...as it uses a dry powder...may cost a bit more, but less problems and the cartridge it comes with is good for about 3000 copies..a new replacement cartridge will be good for more than 5000 copies

o

I never argue a point that I cannot totally substantiate with fact, but I can share life experience. I have an old HP 5650 hooked up to my system along with a HP4680 AIO, and before that a HP380 AIO. I rarely use it, perhaps once a month as it is a better photo printer than the AIOs. I have never had a problem with the ink cartridges.

Myself, I think the only thing a user might consider is removing the cartridge every once in a while, shake it, and then reinstall. However, I don't even do that.

DA

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here