SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
juneroses_gw

Persistent LiveCD

My computer is a Win XP with SP3 and multiple security programs, and is used to access our banking and other financial sites. I've been using a Live CD to, hopefully, more safely log into these sites. It would be easier to just stay logged in via Ubuntu but bookmarks, etc. are on the Windows side, so I've been rebooting.

I'm aware that I could dual boot but, frankly, I'm afraid of messing up the whole thing.

Now I've become aware of a persistent LiveCD (or, in my case, a persistent LiveUSB) which allows one to save to the LiveCD. Are there some big downsides to this, especially in regard to security? I would add an antivirus to the persistent program.

Otherwise, I don't plan to save a lot - probably just website addresses. I'd also access my bank and email.

Here's a website with instructions that seem clear to me (but I haven't actually tried it yet):

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/14912/create-a-persistent-bootable-ubuntu-usb-flash-drive/

Thanks for reading. I've lurked at this forum for years and value your input.

Comment (1)

• Elmer J Fudd
    10 years ago

I think you're going through a lot of trouble for nothing.

If you're using an updated browser, the connections to your bank and financial institutions use a level of encryption that for these purposes can be reasonably called unbreakable.

There's no one monitoring your internet traffic trying to crack into your savings account. Make your connections with your regular Windows boot up and sleep well.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH